Money Demand in Europe: Evidence from the Past
AbstractThe conditions under which European monetary policy is likely to be conducted are investigated by means of multi-variate time series modelling using aggregated data of all eleven European Monetary Union member states. A cointegration analysis identifies two stable long-run relationships within a set of five key macroeconomic variables, one of which can be interpreted as a money demand function and a second one as a long term real interest rate (Fisher parity). Our findings indicate that monetary authorities might well be able to base their policy on the existence of a money demand. Particular emphasis is given both to the data sources and their aggregation, by providing a transparent account of our calculation procedure, which is not yet common in the existing literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research in its series Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin with number 204.
Length: 24 p.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- E41 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Demand for Money
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hubrich, Kirstin & LÃ¼tkepohl, Helmut & Saikkonen, Pentti, 1998.
"A review of systemscointegration tests,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1998,101, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Identifying restrictions of linear equations with applications to simultaneous equations and cointegration," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 111-132, September.
- Monticelli, Carlo & Strauss-Kahn, Marc-Olivier, 1993.
"European Integration and the Demand for Broad Money,"
The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester,
University of Manchester, vol. 61(4), pages 345-66, December.
- Carlo Monticelli & Marc-Olivier Strauss-Kahn, 1992. "European integration and the demand for broad money," BIS Working Papers 18, Bank for International Settlements.
- G. Coenen & J.-L. Vega, 2001.
"The demand for M3 in the euro area,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(6), pages 727-748.
- Coenen, GÃ¼nter & Vega, Juan Luis, 1999. "The demand for M3 in the euro area," Working Paper Series, European Central Bank 0006, European Central Bank.
- Gunter Coenen & Juan Luis Vega, 2000. "The Demand for M3 in the Euro Area," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0976, Econometric Society.
- James G. MacKinnon, 2010.
"Critical Values for Cointegration Tests,"
Working Papers, Queen's University, Department of Economics
1227, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- James G. MacKinnon, 1990. "Critical Values for Cointegration Tests," Working Papers, Queen's University, Department of Economics 1227, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Katrin Wesche, 1997.
"The Stability of European Money Demand: An Investigation of M3H,"
Open Economies Review, Springer,
Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 371-391, October.
- Wesche, Katrin, 1995. "The Stability of European Money Demand: An Investigation of M3H," Discussion Paper Serie B 337, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Jeroen J. M. Kremers & Timothy D. Lane, 1990. "Economic and Monetary Integration and the Aggregate Demand for Money in the EMS," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(4), pages 777-805, December.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & Luukkonen, Ritva, 1997. "Testing cointegration in infinite order vector autoregressive processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 93-126, November.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Lucas, Robert Jr, 1976. "Econometric policy evaluation: A critique," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 19-46, January.
- Carlo Monticelli, 1996. "EU-wide money and cross-border holdings," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, Springer, vol. 132(2), pages 215-235, September.
- Ivo Arnold, 1994. "The myth of a stable European money demand," Open Economies Review, Springer, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 249-259, July.
- Jan Gottschalk, 1999. "A Cointegration Analysis of a Money Demand System in Europe," Kiel Working Papers 902, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Neil R. Ericsson, 1998. "Empirical modeling of money demand," Empirical Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 295-315.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2000.
"Testing for the cointegrating rank of a VAR process with a time trend,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 177-198, March.
- H. LÃ¼tkepohl & P. Saikkonen, 1997. "Testing for the Cointegrating Rank of a VAR Process with a Time Trend," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1997,79, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- repec:wop:humbsf:1998-101 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gabriel Fagan & JÃŠrÃ†me Henry, 1998. "Long run money demand in the EU: Evidence for area-wide aggregates," Empirical Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 483-506.
- Jan Gottschalk & StÃ©phanie Stolz, 2001. "The Link of the Monetary Indicator to Future Inflation in the Euro Area ï¿½ A Simulation Experiment," Kiel Working Papers 1057, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Jan Gottschalk, 2001. "Measuring Expected Inflation and the Ex-Ante Real Interest Rate in the Euro Area Using Structural Vector Autoregressions," Kiel Working Papers 1067, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.