Currency Substitution and Money Demand in Euroland
AbstractThis papers tests the stability of the demand for money in the euro area in the context of an open economy. A sample consisting of quarterly data covering the 1982:2-1999:3 period is considered. The main finding is that the US long term rate of interest plays a significant role in the European money demand relationship. This result holds for different combinations of variables forming the vector auto-regressive system and suggests that currency substitution vis-Ã -vis the US dollar may be an important factor influencing the ECB monetary policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Atlantic Economic Society in its journal Atlantic Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 34 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 10A Maryland Plaza, St. Louis, MO 63108-1502 U.S.A.
Phone: (314) 454-0100
Fax: (314) 454-9109
Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=112055
More information through EDIRC
EMU; money demand; international currencies; currency substitution; E41; E58; F41;
Other versions of this item:
- Miguel Lebre de Freitas, 2003. "Currency substitution and money demand in Euroland," NIPE Working Papers 11/2003, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- E41 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Demand for Money
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beyer, Andreas & Doornik, Jurgen A & Hendry, David F, 2001.
"Constructing Historical Euro-Zone Data,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(469), pages F102-21, February.
- David Hendry & Jurgen Doornik, 2000. "Constructing Historical Euro-Zone Data," Economics Series Working Papers 4, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Beyer, A. & Doornik, J.A. & Hendry, D.F., 2000. "Constructing Historical Euro-Zone Data," Economics Working Papers eco2000/10, European University Institute.
- Melvin, Michael, 1985. "Currency Substitution and Western European Monetary Unification," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 52(205), pages 79-91, February.
- Bayoumi, Tamim A & Kenen, Peter B, 1993. "How Useful Is an EC-Wide Monetary Aggregate as an Intermediate Target for Europe?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(3), pages 209-20, October.
- Gunter Coenen & Juan Luis Vega, 2000.
"The Demand for M3 in the Euro Area,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0976, Econometric Society.
- Ivo Arnold, 1994. "The myth of a stable European money demand," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 249-259, July.
- Frank Browne & Gabriel Fagan & Jerome Henry, 2005.
"Money Demand in EU Countries: A Survey,"
- Pesaran, H. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1998.
"Generalized impulse response analysis in linear multivariate models,"
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1997. "Generalised Impulse Response Analysis in Linear Multivariate Models," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9710, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Claus Brand & Nuno Cassola, 2004. "A money demand system for euro area M3," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 36(8), pages 817-838.
- Kareken, John & Wallace, Neil, 1981. "On the Indeterminacy of Equilibrium Exchange Rates," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 96(2), pages 207-22, May.
- Spencer, Peter, 1997. "Monetary integration and currency substitution in the EMS: The case for a European monetary aggregate," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(7), pages 1403-1419, July.
- Carlo Monticelli & Marc-Olivier Strauss-Kahn, 1992.
"European integration and the demand for broad money,"
BIS Working Papers
18, Bank for International Settlements.
- Monticelli, Carlo & Strauss-Kahn, Marc-Olivier, 1993. "European Integration and the Demand for Broad Money," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 61(4), pages 345-66, December.
- McKinnon, Ronald I, 1982. "Currency Substitution and Instability in the World Dollar Standard," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 320-33, June.
- Brand, Claus & Cassola, Nuno, 2000. "A money demand system for euro area M3," Working Paper Series 0039, European Central Bank.
- Bergstrand, Jeffrey H. & Bundt, Thomas P., 1990. "Currency substitution and monetary autonomy: the foreign demand for US demand deposits," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 325-334, September.
- Paul R. Masson & Marcel Cassard & Timothy D. Lane, 1994. "ERM Money Supplies and the Transition to EMU," IMF Working Papers 94/1, International Monetary Fund.
- Brian M. Doyle, 2000. ""Here, dollars, dollars ..."estimating currency demand and worldwide currency substitution," International Finance Discussion Papers 657, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Miguel Lebre de Freitas & Francisco José Veiga, 2006.
"Currency substitution, portfolio diversification, and money demand,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 39(3), pages 719-743, August.
- Miguel Lebre de Freitas, 2004. "Currency Substitution, Portfolio Diversification and Money Demand," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 263, Econometric Society.
- Miguel Lebre de Freitas, 2004. "Currency Substitution, portfolio Diversification and Money Demand," NIPE Working Papers 9/2004, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Jeroen J. M. Kremers & Timothy D. Lane, 1990. "Economic and Monetary Integration and the Aggregate Demand for Money in the EMS," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(4), pages 777-805, December.
- Vegh, Carlos A., 1989. "The optimal inflation tax in the presence of currency substitution," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 139-146, July.
- Mizen, Paul & Pentecost, Eric J, 1994. "Evaluating the Empirical Evidence for Currency Substitution: A Case Study of the Demand for Sterling in Europe," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(426), pages 1057-69, September.
- Gabriel Fagan & JÊrÆme Henry, 1998. "Long run money demand in the EU: Evidence for area-wide aggregates," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 483-506.
- Paul R. Krugman, 1984. "The International Role of the Dollar: Theory and Prospect," NBER Chapters, in: Exchange Rate Theory and Practice, pages 261-278 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carlo C. A. Winder & Martin M. G. Fase, 1998. "Wealth and the demand for money in the European union," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 507-524.
- Funke, Michael, 2001.
"Money demand in Euroland,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 701-713, October.
- P. Bekx & G. Tullio, 1989. "A note on the European Monetary System, and the determination of the DM-dollar exchange rate," Brussels Economic Review, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 123, pages 329-343.
- Thomas, Lee R, 1985. "Portfolio Theory and Currency Substitution," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 17(3), pages 347-57, August.
- Arnold, Ivo J. M. & de Vries, Casper G., 2000. "Endogeneity in European money demand," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 587-609, November.
- Smith, Constance E, 1995. "Substitution, Income, and Intertemporal Effects in Currency-Substitution Models," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(1), pages 53-59, February.
- Lebre de Freitas, M., 2004.
"The dynamics of inflation and currency substitution in a small open economy,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 133-142, February.
- Miguel Lebre de Freitas, 2003. "The dynamics of inflation and currency substitution in a small open economy," Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers) 02, Departamento de Economia, Gestão e Engenharia Industrial, Universidade de Aveiro, revised Aug 2003.
- Miguel Lebre de Freitas, 2004. "The Dynamics of Inflation and Currency Substitution in a Small Open Economy," NIPE Working Papers 1/2004, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Branson, William H. & Henderson, Dale W., 1985.
"The specification and influence of asset markets,"
Handbook of International Economics,
in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 15, pages 749-805
- Angeloni, Ignazio & Cottarelli, Carlo & Levy, Aviram, 1994. "Cross-border deposits, aggregation, and money demand in the transition to EMU," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 27-54, February.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S, 1993. "Finite-Sample Sizes of Johansen's Likelihood Ration Tests for Conintegration," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 55(3), pages 313-28, August.
- Issing, Otmar, 2000. "The ECB's Monetary Policy: Experience After the First Year," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 325-343, May.
- John F. O. Bilson & Richard C. Marston, 1984. "Exchange Rate Theory and Practice," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number bils84-1.
- Peter B. Kenen & Tamim Bayoumi, 1992. "Using an EC-Wide Monetary Aggregate in Stage Two of EMU," IMF Working Papers 92/56, International Monetary Fund.
- Boyer, Russell S. & Kingston, Geoffrey H., 1987. "Currency substitution under finance constraints," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 235-250, September.
- repec:cto:journl:v:24:y:2004:i:1-2:p:27-40 is not listed on IDEAS
- Leland B. Yeager, 2004. "The Euro Facing Other Moneys," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 24(1-2), pages 27-40, Spring/Su.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.