Uncertainty Aversion, Robust Control and Asset Holdings
AbstractOptimal portfolio rules are derived under uncertainty aversion by formulating the portfolio choice problem as a robust control problem. The robust portfolio rule indicates that the total holdings of risky assets as a proportion of the investor’s wealth could increase as compared to the holdings under the Merton rule, which is the standard risk aversion case. In particular, with two risky assets and one risk-free asset, we show that uncertainty aversion could lead to an increase in the holdings of the one risky asset, accompanied by a reduction in the holdings of the other risky asset. Furthermore, in the optimal robust portfolio the investor may increase the holdings of the asset for which there is or less ambiguity, and reduce the holdings of the asset for which there is more ambiguity, a result that might provide an explanation of the home bias puzzle.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Crete, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 0402.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: 00 Feb 2004
Date of revision:
Uncertainty Aversion; Model Misspecification; Robust Control; Portfolio Choice Models;
Other versions of this item:
- Anastasios Xepapadeas & Giannis Vardas, 2004. "Uncertainty Aversion, Robust Control and Asset Holdings," Working Papers 2004.66, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Söderström, Ulf, 2000.
"Monetary policy with uncertain parameters,"
Working Paper Series
0013, European Central Bank.
- Angel Serrat, 2001. "A Dynamic Equilibrium Model of International Portfolio Holdings," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1467-1489, November.
- Thomas J. Sargent & LarsPeter Hansen, 2001. "Robust Control and Model Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 60-66, May.
- Alexei Onatski & James H. Stock, 2000.
"Robust Monetary Policy Under Model Uncertainty in a Small Model of the U.S. Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
7490, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Onatski, Alexei & Stock, James H., 2002. "Robust Monetary Policy Under Model Uncertainty In A Small Model Of The U.S. Economy," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 85-110, February.
- Alexei Onatski & James H. Stock, 1999. "Robust monetary policy under model uncertainty in a small model of the U.S. economy," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- William A. Brock & Steven N. Durlauf & Kenneth D. West, 2003.
"Policy Evaluation in Uncertain Economic Environments,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 34(1), pages 235-322.
- Brock,W.A. & Durlauf,S.N. & West,K.D., 2003. "Policy evaluation in uncertain economic environments," Working papers 15, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- William A. Brock & Steven N. Durlauf & Kenneth D. West, 2003. "Policy Evaluation in Uncertain Economic Environments," NBER Working Papers 10025, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zengjing Chen & Larry G. Epstein, 2000.
"Ambiguity, risk and asset returns in continuous time,"
RCER Working Papers
474, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Zengjing Chen & Larry Epstein, 2002. "Ambiguity, Risk, and Asset Returns in Continuous Time," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1403-1443, July.
- Epstein, Larry G. & Miao, Jianjun, 2003.
"A two-person dynamic equilibrium under ambiguity,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 1253-1288, May.
- French, Kenneth R & Poterba, James M, 1991.
"Investor Diversification and International Equity Markets,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 81(2), pages 222-26, May.
- Kenneth R. French & James M. Poterba, 1991. "Investor Diversification and International Equity Markets," NBER Working Papers 3609, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alexei Onatski & Noah Williams, 2003.
"Modeling Model Uncertainty,"
NBER Working Papers
9566, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brock,W.A. & Durlauf,S.N., 2003.
"Elements of a theory of design limits to optimal policy,"
25, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- William A. Brock & Steven N. Durlauf, 2004. "Elements of a Theory of Design Limits to Optimal Policy," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 72(s1), pages 1-18, 09.
- William A. Brock & Steven N. Durlauf, 2004. "Elements of a Theory of Design Limits to Optimal Policy," NBER Working Papers 10495, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- R. C. Merton, 1970.
"Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model,"
58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Merton, Robert C., 1971. "Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- Brock,W. & Xepapadeas,A., 2002. "Regulating nonlinear environmental systems under Knightian uncertainty," Working papers 8, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Merton, Robert C, 1973. "An Intertemporal Capital Asset Pricing Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(5), pages 867-87, September.
- Catarina Roseta-Palma & Anastasios Xepapadeas, 2004. "Robust Control in Water Management," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 21-34, 07.
- Norman Strong & Xinzhong Xu, 2003. "Understanding the Equity Home Bias: Evidence from Survey Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(2), pages 307-312, May.
- Epstein, Larry G & Wang, Tan, 1994. "Intertemporal Asset Pricing Under Knightian Uncertainty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(2), pages 283-322, March.
- Gilboa, Itzhak & Schmeidler, David, 1989. "Maxmin expected utility with non-unique prior," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 141-153, April.
- Giannis Vardas & Anastasios Xepapadeas, 2004. "Uncertainty Aversion and Robust Portfolio Choices," Working Papers 0408, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kostis Pigounakis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.