A Treatment Effect Method for Merger Analysis with an Application to Parking Prices in Paris
AbstractMost retrospective merger studies resort to the treatment effect approach, comparingthe price dynamics in a treatment group and in a control group. We propose asystematic method to construct the groups, which applies to any industry with spatialcompetition. The method is consistent with the fact that mergers alter oligopolisticequilibria in complex ways, and thus that seemingly distant entities may be affectedthrough indirect channels. An illustration based on a merger in the Parisian parkingmarket is provided.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique in its series Working Papers with number 2010-48.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Philippe Choné & Laurent Linnemer, 2010. "A Treatment Effect Method for Merger Analysis with an Application to Parking Prices in Paris," CESifo Working Paper Series 3268, CESifo Group Munich.
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- L40 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Froeb, Luke & Tschantz, Steven & Crooke, Philip, 2003. "Bertrand competition with capacity constraints: mergers among parking lots," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 49-67, March.
- Borenstein, Severin, 1990. "Airline Mergers, Airport Dominance, and Market Power," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 400-404, May.
- Marie-Laure Allain & Claire Chambolle & StÃ©phane Turolla & Sofia Villas-Boas, 2013. "The impact of retail mergers on food prices: evidence from France," Working Papers 181943, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Aguzzoni, Luca & Argentesi, Elena & Ciari, Lorenzo & Duso, Tomaso & Tognoni, Massimo, 2013.
"Ex-post merger evaluation in the UK retail market for books,"
DICE Discussion Papers
98, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Duso, Tomaso & Argentesi, Elena & Aguzzoni, Luca & Ciari, Lorenzo & Tognoni, Massimo, 2013. "Ex-post Merger Evaluation in the UK Retail Market for Books," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 80025, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Luca Aguzzoni & Elena Argentesi & Lorenzo Ciari & Tomaso Duso & Massimo Tognoni, 2013. "Ex-Post Merger Evaluation in the UK Retail Market for Books," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1310, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- L. Aguzzoni & E. Argentesi & L. Ciari & T. Duso & M. Tognoni, 2013. "Ex-post Merger Evaluation in the UK Retail Market for Books," Working Papers wp889, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Gergely Csorba & Gabor Koltay & David Farkas, 2011. "Separating the ex post effects of mergers: an analysis of structural changes on the Hungarian retail gasoline market," IEHAS Discussion Papers 1118, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Marie-Laure Allain & Claire Chambolle & Stéphane Turolla & Sofia B. villas-boas, 2014.
"The impact of retail mergers on food prices: evidence from France,"
Working Papers SMART - LERECO
14-02, INRA UMR SMART.
- Marie-Laure Allain & Claire Chambolle & Stéphane Turolla & Sofia Villas-Boas, 2013. "The Impact of Retail Mergers on Food Prices: Evidence from France," Working Papers hal-00920460, HAL.
- Marie-Laure Allain & Claire Chambolle & Stéphane Turolla & Sofia B. Villas-Boas, 2013. "The Impact of Retail Mergers on Food Prices : Evidence from France," Working Papers 2013-18, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Florian Sallaberry).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.