The Political Economy of Education and Development in an Open Economy
AbstractIf the price effect of opening up a developing economy may be expected to act as a disincentive for investment in human capital, the opposite is likely to be true of the income effect, especially in the presence of credit market imperfections among the poor. It is shown in this Paper that this may not be the case anymore in a society initially dominated by an oligarchic capitalist elite that is afraid of losing its political control in favour of an educated middle class. Although it may sometimes be in its interest to democratize by subsidizing education when the economy is closed, incentives to do so disappear when the economy is open to trade or factor flows.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 3075.
Date of creation: Nov 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- François Bourguignon & Thierry Verdier, 2005. "The Political Economy of Education and Development in an Open Economy," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(3), pages 529-548, 08.
- François Bourguignon & Thierry Verdier, 2001. "The Political Economy of Education and Development in an Open Economy," DELTA Working Papers 2001-11, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- D78 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Positive Analysis of Policy-Making and Implementation
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chakrabarty Debajyoti & Chanda Areendam & Ghate Chetan, 2006.
"Education, Growth, and Redistribution in the Presence of Capital Flight,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics,
De Gruyter, vol. 6(2), pages 1-41, November.
- Debajyoti Chakrabarty, 2006. "Education, Growth, and Redistribution in the Presence of Capital Flight," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2006-21, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Areendam Chanda & Debajyoti Chakrabarty & Chetan Ghate, . "Education, Growth, and Redistribution in the Presence of Capital Flight," Departmental Working Papers 2006-10, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- B.P. Zaaruka & J.W. Fedderke, 2011. "Indicators of Political and Economic Institutions in Tanzania: 1884 - 2008," Working Papers 231, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Åsa Johansson & Yvan Guillemette & Fabrice Murtin & David Turner & Giuseppe Nicoletti & Christine de la Maisonneuve & Philip Bagnoli & Guillaume Bousquet & Francesca Spinelli, 2013. "Long-Term Growth Scenarios," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 1000, OECD Publishing.
- Ruben Segura-Cayuela, 2006.
"Inefficient Policies, Inefficient Institutions and Trade,"
2006 Meeting Papers
502, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Rubén Segura-Cayuela, 2006. "Inefficient policies, inefficient institutions and trade," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0633, Banco de Espa�a.
- Thierry Verdier, 2005. "Intégration commerciale « socialement responsable » : une approche en termes d'économie politique," Revue d’économie du développement, De Boeck Université, vol. 19(4), pages 55-121.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.