Unionisation and Foreign Direct Investment
AbstractThis paper investigates the effects of different degrees of wage setting centralisation on (1) the incentive of a MNE to locate in a host country, (2) the optimal level of investment it decides to commit to its foreign operation, and (3) the host country's welfare. Decentralised and centralised wage bargaining are considered. The nature of product market competition between the MNE and domestic firms affects results that cast doubt on some of the conventional wisdom on FDI. In particular, we show that: (i) it is not always welfare improving to attract inward FDI, and (ii) the MNE may prefer centralised to decentralised wage setting regimes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 2260.
Date of creation: Oct 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F16 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Labor Market Interactions
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brander, James A. & Spencer, Barbara J., 1987. "Foreign direct investment with unemployment and endogenous taxes and tariffs," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3-4), pages 257-279, May.
- Zhao, Laixun, 1998. "The Impact of Foreign Direct Investment on Wages and Employment," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(2), pages 284-301, April.
- Naylor, Robin, 1998. "International trade and economic integration when labour markets are generally unionised," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(7), pages 1251-1267, July.
- Bond, Eric W & Guisinger, Stephen E, 1985. "Investment Incentives as Tariff Substitutes: A Comprehensive Measure of Protection," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(1), pages 91-97, February.
- Haaparanta, Pertti, 1996. "Competition for foreign direct investments," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 141-153, December.
- Sajal Lahiri & Yoshiyasu Ono, 1998.
"Tax policy on foreign direct investment in the presence of cross-hauling,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 134(2), pages 263-279, June.
- Sajal Lahiri and Yoshiyasu Ono, . "Tax Policy on Foreign Direct Investment in the Presence of Cross-Hauling," Economics Discussion Papers 472, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Barry, Frank & Bradley, John, 1997.
"FDI and Trade: The Irish Host-Country Experience,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(445), pages 1798-1811, November.
- Barry, F & Bradley, J, 1997. ""FDI and Trade : The Irish Host-Country Experience"," Papers 97/13, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Eckhard Janeba, 1993.
"Foreign Direct Investment under Oligopoly: Profit Shifting of Profit Capturing?,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
420, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Janeba, Eckhard, 1996. "Foreign direct investment under oligopoly: Profit shifting or profit capturing?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 423-445, June.
- Dinopoulos, Elias, 1983. "Import competition, international factor mobility and lobbying responses: the schumpeterian industry case," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3-4), pages 395-410, May.
- Brander, James A. & Spencer, Barbara J., 1988. "Unionized oligopoly and international trade policy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3-4), pages 217-234, May.
- Brecher, Richard A & Long, Ngo Van, 1989. "Trade Unions in an Open Economy: A General Equilibrium Analysis," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 65(190), pages 234-39, September.
- Huizinga, Harry, 1993.
" International Market Integration and Union Wage Bargaining,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 95(2), pages 249-55.
- Huizinga, H.P., 1993. "International market integration and union wage bargaining," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-155144, Tilburg University.
- Santoni, Michele, 1996.
"Union-Oligopoly Sequential Bargaining: Trade and Industrial Policies,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 48(4), pages 640-63, October.
- Michele Santoni, . "Union-Oligopoly Sequential Bargaining: Trade and Industrial Policies," Discussion Papers 94/24, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Bond, Eric W. & Samuelson, Larry, 1989. "Bargaining with commitment, choice of techniques, and direct foreign investment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1-2), pages 77-97, February.
- Zhao, Laixun, 1995. "Cross-hauling direct foreign investment and unionized oligopoly," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 1237-1253, June.
- Arulampalam, W. & Robin A. Naylor & Jeremy P. Smith, 2002. "University of Warwick," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 9, Royal Economic Society.
- Bughin, Jacques & Vannini, Stefano, 1995. "Strategic direct investment under unionized oligopoly," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 127-145, March.
- Andreas Haufler & Ferdinand Mittermaier, 2008.
"Unionisation Triggers Tax Incentives to Attract Foreign Direct Investment,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2312, CESifo Group Munich.
- Andreas Haufler & Ferdinand Mittermaier, 2011. "Unionisation Triggers Tax Incentives to Attract Foreign Direct Investment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 121(553), pages 793-818, 06.
- Haufler, Andreas & Mittermaier, Ferdinand, 2008. "Unionisation triggers tax incentives to attract foreign direct investment," Discussion Papers in Economics 3752, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Andreas Haufler & Ferdinand Mittermaier, 2008. "Unionisation triggers tax incentives to attract foreign direct investment," Working Papers 052, Bavarian Graduate Program in Economics (BGPE).
- Haufler, Andreas & Mittermaier, Ferdinand, 2011. "Unionisation Triggers Tax Incentives to Attract Foreign Direct Investment," Munich Reprints in Economics 20404, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Palokangas, Tapio K., 2003. "Foreign Direct Investment, Labour Market Regulation and Self-Interested Governments," IZA Discussion Papers 793, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Collie, D. & Vandenbussche, H., 1999.
"Trade, FDI and Unions,"
1999-42, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Michael Pfaffermayr, .
"Employment in Domestic Plants and Foreign Affiliates: A Note on the Elasticity of Substitution,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Michael Pfaffermayr, 2001. "Employment in domestic plants and foreign affiliates: A note on the elasticity of substitution," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 137(2), pages 347-364, June.
- Laixun Zhao, 2006. "International Labor Standards and Southern Competition," Discussion Paper Series 193, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Kotov, Denis, 2008. "How Changing Investment Climate Impacts on the Foreign Investors Investment Decision: Evidence from FDI in Germany," MPRA Paper 8777, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.