International Interdependence and Policy Coordination in Economies with Real and Nominal Wage Rigidity
AbstractThe development of the seven main OECD economies during the 1970s and 1980s is discussed. Subsequently, wage equations of the error-correction type for the seven largest OECD economies are estimated. The hypothesis of real wage rigidity cannot be rejected for the French, German, Italian and Japanese economies, but the Canadian, United Kingdom and United States economies display a significant degree of nominal wage rigidity. An analytical two-country model with floating exchange rates, uncovered interest parity, imperfect substitution between home and foreign goods, and sluggish labor markets is then formulated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 217.
Date of creation: Dec 1987
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- van de Klundert, Theo & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1989.
"Fiscal Policy and Finite Lives in Interdependent Economies with Real and Nominal Wage Rigidity,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 41(3), pages 459-89, July.
- Klundert, T.C.M.J. van der & Ploeg, F. van der, 1988. "Fiscal policy and finite lives in interdependent economies with real and nominal wage rigidity," Discussion Paper 1988-1, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1989.
"Fiscal Aspects of Monetary Integration in Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
340, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- van Tuijl, Martin A. & de Groof, Robert J. & Kolnaar, Ad H. J., 1997. "Fiscal policy and public capital in interdependent economics," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 279-300, April.
- Volker Clausen & Hans-Werner Wohltmann, 2011. "Oil Price Shocks and Cyclical Dynamics in an Asymmetric Monetary Union," Ruhr Economic Papers 0247, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Ioannis Kaskarelis, 1991. "Output fluctuations with bargained wages and a competitive tradeable goods sector in the economy: Empirical estimates for the group of five, 1970.1 — 1985.4," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 127(1), pages 42-72, March.
- Wohltmann, Hans-Werner & Winkler, Roland C., 2005. "Monetary Policy Dynamics in Large Oil-Dependent Economies," Economics Working Papers 2005,17, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- van de Klundert, Theo C N J & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1987.
"Wage Rigidity and Capital Mobility in an Optimizing Model of a Small Open Economy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
168, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Klundert, T.C.M.J. van de & Ploeg, F. van der, 1987. "Wage rigidity and capital mobility in an optimizing model of a small open economy," Research Memorandum 277, Tilburg University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Klundert, T.C.M.J. van de & Ploeg, F. van der, 1989. "Wage rigidity and capital mobility in an optimizing model of a small open economy," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-4860201, Tilburg University.
- Wohltmann, Hans-Werner & Clausen, Volker, 2002. "Foreign price shocks and monetary policy in an asymmetric monetary union," IBES DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 124, University of Duisburg-Essen, Faculty for Economics and Business Administration.
- Van Der Ploeg, F., 1990.
"Macroeconomic Policy Coordination During The Various Phases Of Economic And Monetary Integration In Europe,"
9061, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Ploeg, F. van der, 1990. "Macroeconomic policy coordination during the various phases of economic and monetary integration in Europe," Discussion Paper 1990-61, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.