La coordinacion internacional de la politica monetaria en presencia de perturbaciones simetricas: ¿Resulta beneficioso cooperar?
AbstractThis paper discusses the possibility of international monetary policy coordination in response to symmetric disturbances. The results show, as expected, that coordination is always useful to deal with monetary shocks. But coordination is not always the best response against real shocks, since the cooperative solution may be counterproductive when aggregate supply is relatively rigid. Finally, the benefits of coordination become evident under supply shocks, because cooperation minimizes the cost of applying an inappropriate economic policy. To conclude, the advantages of monetary policy coordination would appear clearer when monetary and supply shocks would prevail.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra in its series Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra with number 9808.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: May 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Campus de Arrosadía - 31006 Pamplona (Spain)
Phone: 34 948 169340
Fax: 34 948 169 721
Web page: http://www.econ.unavarra.es
Postal: Papers are not sent in a centralized mode. You can download them with ftp, or contact the authors.
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E61 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Policy Objectives; Policy Designs and Consistency; Policy Coordination
- F42 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Policy Coordination and Transmission
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Eichengreen, Barry, 1992.
"Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
643, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tamim Bayoumi and Barry Eichengreen., 1992. "Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification," Economics Working Papers 92-187, University of California at Berkeley.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Barry Eichengreen, 1992. "Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification," NBER Working Papers 3949, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cohen, Daniel & Wyplosz, Charles, 1989. "The European Monetary Union: An Agnostic Evaluation," CEPR Discussion Papers 306, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hamada, Koichi, 1976. "A Strategic Analysis of Monetary Interdependence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(4), pages 677-700, August.
- María del Carmen Díaz, 1998. "Efectos de la coordinación internacional de la política monetaria en presencia de perturbaciones asimétricas," Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de EconomÃa - Universidad PÃºblica de Navarra 9815, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- David Currie & Paul Levine, 1985. "Macroeconomic Policy Design In An Interdependent World," NBER Chapters, in: International Economic Policy Coordination, pages 228-273 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douven, R.C.M.H. & Plasmans, J.E.J., 1995. "Convergence and international policy coordination in the EU: A dynamic games approach," Discussion Paper 1995-96, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Sibert, Anne, 1997.
"Monetary Integration and Economic Convergence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1561, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jimeno, Juan Francisco & Viñals, José, 1996. "Monetary Union and European Unemployment," CEPR Discussion Papers 1485, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jacob A. Frenkel & Morris Goldstein & Paul R. Masson, 1988. "International Coordination of Economic Policies: Scope, Methods, and Effects," NBER Working Papers 2670, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rockett, Katharine E, 1988. "International Macroeconomic Policy Coordination When Policymakers Do Not Agree on the True Model," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 318-40, June.
- Gilles Oudiz & Jeffrey Sachs, 1984. "Macroeconomic Policy Coordination among the Industrial Economies," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 15(1), pages 1-76.
- Cooper, Richard N., 1985. "Economic interdependence and coordination of economic policies," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 23, pages 1195-1234 Elsevier.
- Jose Vinals & Juan F. Jimeno, . "Monetary union and european unemployment," Working Papers 96-22, FEDEA.
- Corden, Warner Max, 1985. "Macroeconomic Policy Interaction under Flexible Exchange Rates: A Two-Country Model," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 52(205), pages 9-23, February.
- Canzoneri, Matthew B & Gray, Jo Anna, 1985. "Monetary Policy Games and the Consequences of Non-cooperative Behavior," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 26(3), pages 547-64, October.
- Helg, Rodolfo & Manasse, Paolo & Monacelli, Tommaso & Rovelli, Riccardo, 1995. "How much (a)symmetry in Europe? Evidence from industrial sectors," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 1017-1041, May.
- Kehoe, Patrick J., 1987.
"Coordination of fiscal policies in a world economy,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 349-376, May.
- Patrick J. Kehoe, 1986. "Coordination of fiscal policies in a world economy," Staff Report 98, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Douven, R. & Plasmans, J., 1995. "Convergence and International Policy Coordination in the EU: A Dynamic Games Approach," Papers 9596, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Javier Puértolas).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.