Fiscal Aspects of Monetary Integration in Europe
AbstractAn adverse supply shock hits a two-country Mundell-Fleming world and causes unemployment and a higher cost of living. The optimal fiscal policies under noncooperative and under international policy coordination are then contrasted under three alternative regimes: floating exchange rates with hegemony (such as the EMS), and fixed exchange rates with symmetry (such as the EMU). The welfare loss depends on unemployment, real income and budgetary imbalance. There is also an examination of the effects of economic integration ("1992"), of indexation of wages to the cost of living, and of interactions between Europe and the US. The results shed some light on the recent proposals of the Delors Committee for economic and monetary union in Europe.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 340.
Date of creation: Aug 1989
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hamada, Koichi, 1976. "A Strategic Analysis of Monetary Interdependence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(4), pages 677-700, August.
- Rogoff, Kenneth, 1985. "Can international monetary policy cooperation be counterproductive?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3-4), pages 199-217, May.
- Kenen, Peter B., 1987. "Global policy optimization and the exchange-rate regime," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 19-63.
- van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1988.
"International policy coordination in interdependent monetary economies,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 25(1-2), pages 1-23, August.
- van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1987. "International Policy Coordination in Interdependent Monetary Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 169, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Var Der Ploeg, F., 1989.
"Monetary Interdependence Under Alternative Exchange-Rate Regime,"
8920, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Ploeg, F. van der, 1989. "Monetary interdependence under alternative exchange-rate regimes," Discussion Paper 1989-20, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Kenen, Peter B, 1988. "Exchange Rates and Policy Coordination in an Asymmetric Model," CEPR Discussion Papers 240, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mckibbin, Warwick J. & Sachs, Jeffrey D., 1988. "Comparing the global performance of alternative exchange arrangements," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 387-410.
- McKinnon, Ronald I, 1988. "Monetary and Exchange Rate Policies for International Financial Stability: A Proposal," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 2(1), pages 83-103, Winter.
- Francesco Giavazzi & Alberto Giovannini, 1988.
"Can The European Monetary System Be Copied Outside Europe? Lessons From Ten Years of Monetary Policy Coordination In Europe,"
NBER Working Papers
2786, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francesco Giavazzi & Alberto Giovannini, 1990. "Can the European Monetary System be Copied Outside Europe? Lessons from Ten Years of Monetary Policy Coordination in Europe," NBER Chapters, in: International Policy Coordination and Exchange Rate Fluctuations, pages 247-278 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gilles Oudiz & Jeffrey Sachs, 1984. "Macroeconomic Policy Coordination among the Industrial Economies," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 15(1), pages 1-76.
- van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1987. "International Interdependence and Policy Coordination in Economies with Real and Nominal Wage Rigidity," CEPR Discussion Papers 217, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Keen, Michael, 1989. "Pareto-improving indirect tax harmonisation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 1-12, January.
- Kehoe, Patrick J., 1987.
"Coordination of fiscal policies in a world economy,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 349-376, May.
- Patrick J. Kehoe, 1986. "Coordination of fiscal policies in a world economy," Staff Report 98, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- J. Marcus Fleming, 1962. "Domestic Financial Policies under Fixed and under Floating Exchange Rates (Politiques finaciÃ¨rieures intÃ©rieures avec un systÃ¨me de taux de change fixe et avec un systÃ¨me de taux de change," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 9(3), pages 369-380, November.
- Canzoneri, Matthew B & Gray, Jo Anna, 1985. "Monetary Policy Games and the Consequences of Non-cooperative Behavior," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 26(3), pages 547-64, October.
- Warwick J. McKibbin & Jeffrey Sachs, 1986. "Coordination of Monetary and Fiscal Policies in the OECD," NBER Working Papers 1800, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Canzoneri, M. & Rogers, C., 1989. "Is the European Community an Optimal Currency Area? : Optimal Tax Smoothing versus the Cost of Multiple Currencies," Discussion Paper 1989-23, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Van Der Ploeg, F., 1990.
"Macroeconomic Policy Coordination During The Various Phases Of Economic And Monetary Integration In Europe,"
9061, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Ploeg, F. van der, 1990. "Macroeconomic policy coordination during the various phases of economic and monetary integration in Europe," Discussion Paper 1990-61, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Van Der Ploeg, F., 1990.
"Budgetary Aspects Of Economic And Monetary Integration Inn Europe,"
9037, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1991. "Budgetary Aspects of Economic and Monetary Integration in Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 492, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ploeg, F. van der, 1990. "Budgetary aspects of economic and monetary integration in Europe," Discussion Paper 1990-37, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Frédéric Gavrel & Jean Bensaïd, 1993. "UEM et coordination des politiques budgétaires," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 109(3), pages 47-56.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.