What Awareness? Consumer Perception of Bank Risk and Deposit Insurance
AbstractThis paper provides unique survey evidence on consumer awareness about deposit insurance and on consumer perception of the stability of small and systemic banks. It turns out that systemic banks are perceived as less risky compared to non-systemic banks and that respondents’ own bank is considered safer than other banks. We also find that knowledge on the eligibility for deposit insurance is limited, in particular when it concerns small banks. In addition, consumers generally expect an associated payback time that well exceeds the time it has taken to pay back depositors in the past, expecting a higher as well as faster payback for large, systemic banks. This confirms that households’ awareness of the coverage and operations of deposit insurance are suboptimal. We also find that awareness about and trust in the deposit insurance system has only a marginal effect on deposit behavior in “normal” and “crisis” times. Thus, while the evidence suggests that there is ample scope to improve awareness about deposit insurance, it is far from sure that such policies will affect household behavior.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis in its series CPB Discussion Paper with number 205.
Date of creation: Feb 2012
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
- D84 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Expectations; Speculations
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2012-03-08 (Banking)
- NEP-CBE-2012-03-08 (Cognitive & Behavioural Economics)
- NEP-IAS-2012-03-08 (Insurance Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gaudecker, Hans-Martin von & van Soest, Arthur & Wengström, Erik, 2009.
"Heterogeneity in Risky Choice Behaviour in a Broad Population,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4022, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hans-Martin von Gaudecker & Arthur van Soest & Erik Wengstrom, 2011. "Heterogeneity in Risky Choice Behavior in a Broad Population," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(2), pages 664-94, April.
- Gaudecker, H.M. von & Soest, A.H.O. van & Wengstrom, E., 2009. "Heterogeneity in Risky Choice Behavior in a Broad Population," Discussion Paper 2009-12, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Gaudecker, H.M. von & Soest, A.H.O. van & Wengstrom, E., 2011. "Heterogeneity in risky choice behavior in a broad population," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3857699, Tilburg University.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asl' & Kane, Edward J., 2001.
"Depositinsurance around the globe : where does it work?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2679, The World Bank.
- Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Edward J. Kane, 2002. "Deposit Insurance Around the Globe: Where Does It Work?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(2), pages 175-195, Spring.
- Edward J. Kane & Asli Demirguc-Kunt, 2001. "Deposit Insurance Around the Globe: Where Does it Work?," NBER Working Papers 8493, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- van der Cruijsen, Carin & de Haan, Jakob & Jansen, David-Jan & Mosch, Robert, 2013.
"Knowledge and opinions about banking supervision: Evidence from a survey of Dutch households,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 219-229.
- Carin van der Cruijsen & Jakob de Haan & David-Jan Jansen & Robert Mosch, 2010. "Knowledge and Opinions about Banking Supervision: Evidence from a Survey of Dutch Households," DNB Working Papers 275, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Schotter, Andrew & Yorulmazer, Tanju, 2009. "On the dynamics and severity of bank runs: An experimental study," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 217-241, April.
- repec:fip:fedhpr:y:2008:i:may:p:280-281 is not listed on IDEAS
- Maarten van Rooij & Annamaria Lusardi & Rob Alessi, 2007.
"Financial literacy and stock market participation,"
DNB Working Papers
146, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- van Rooij, Maarten & Lusardi, Annamaria & Alessie, Rob J. M., 2007. "Financial literacy and stock market participation," CFS Working Paper Series 2007/27, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Maarten vanRooij & Annamaria Lusardi & Rob Alessie, 2007. "Financial Literacy and Stock Market Participation," Working Papers wp162, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- Maarten van Rooij & Annamaria Lusardi & Rob Alessie, 2007. "Financial Literacy and Stock Market Participation," CeRP Working Papers 66, Center for Research on Pensions and Welfare Policies, Turin (Italy).
- Maarten van Rooij & Annamaria Lusardi & Rob Alessie, 2007. "Financial Literacy and Stock Market Participation," NBER Working Papers 13565, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- M.C.J. van Rooij & Annamaria Lusardi & R. Alessie, 2007. "Financial Literacy and Stock Market Participation," Working Papers 07-23, Utrecht School of Economics.
- David S. Hoelscher & Michael Taylor & Ulrich H. Klueh, 2006. "The Design and Implementation of Deposit Insurance Systems," IMF Occasional Papers 251, International Monetary Fund.
- Rajkamal Iyer & Manju Puri, 2008. "Understanding Bank Runs: The Importance of Depositor-Bank Relationships and Networks," NBER Working Papers 14280, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hyun Song Shin, 2009. "Reflections on Northern Rock: The Bank Run That Heralded the Global Financial Crisis," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 23(1), pages 101-19, Winter.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.