Volatility impulse response functions for multivariate GARCH models
AbstractIn the empirical analysis of financial time series, multivariate GARCH models have been used in various forms. As it is typical for nonlinear models there is yet no unique framework available to uncover dynamic covariance relationships for vector return processes. We introduce a new concept of impulse response functions tracing the effects of independent shocks on volatility through time. The advocated methodology avoids typical orthogonalization and ordering problems. Theoretical properties of volatility impulse response functions are derived and compared with conditional moment profiles introduced by Gallant, Rossi and Tauchen (1993) for semi-nonparametric models. In an empirical study of a bivariate foreign exchange rate series we use volatility impulse response functions to compare alternative parametric volatility specifications. It is shown that for shocks affecting foreign exchange rates in an asymmetric way, the difference between our methodology and conditional volatility profiles can be substantial.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) in its series CORE Discussion Papers with number 2001039.
Date of creation: 00 Sep 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Multivariate GARCH; impulse response; exchange rate; volatility;
Other versions of this item:
- HAFNER, Christian M. & HERWARTZ, Helmut, 1998. "Volatility impulse response functions for multivariate GARCH models," CORE Discussion Papers 1998047, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rose, A.K. & Svensson, L.E.O., 1993.
"European Exchange Rate Credibility Before the Fall,"
542, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Rose, Andrew K. & Svensson, Lars E. O., 1994. "European exchange rate credibility before the fall," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 1185-1216, June.
- Andrew K. Rose & Lars E.O. Svensson, 1993. "European Exchange Rate Credibility Before the Fall," NBER Working Papers 4495, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rose, Andrew K & Svensson, Lars E O, 1993. "European Exchange Rate Credibility Before the Fall," CEPR Discussion Papers 852, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1993.
"Temporal aggregation of GARCH processes,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-153273, Tilburg University.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1990. "Temporal Aggregation Of Garch Processes," Papers 9066, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1990. "Temporal aggregation of GARCH processes," Discussion Paper 1990-66, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1992. "Temporal Aggregation of Garch Processes," Papers 9240, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1992. "Temporal aggregation of GARCH processes," Discussion Paper 1992-40, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Robert F. Engle & Victor K. Ng, 1991.
"Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility,"
NBER Working Papers
3681, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F & Ng, Victor K, 1993. " Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1749-78, December.
- Koop, Gary & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Potter, Simon M., 1996. "Impulse response analysis in nonlinear multivariate models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 119-147, September.
- John Freebairn & Bill Griffiths, 2006. "Introduction," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 82(s1), pages S1-S1, 09.
- Lin, Wen-Ling, 1997. "Impulse Response Function for Conditional Volatility in GARCH Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 15(1), pages 15-25, January.
- Hafner, Christian M. & Herwartz, Helmut, 1998.
"Testing for linear autoregressive dynamics under heteroskedasticity,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1999,7, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Christian M. Hafner & Helmut Herwartz, 2000. "Testing for linear autoregressive dynamics under heteroskedasticity," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(2), pages 177-197.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1990. "Stationarity and Persistence in the GARCH(1,1) Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(03), pages 318-334, September.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F, 1993. "Common Persistence in Conditional Variances," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 167-86, January.
- Gallant, A Ronald & Rossi, Peter E & Tauchen, George, 1993. "Nonlinear Dynamic Structures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 871-907, July.
- BAUWENS, LUC & LUBRANO, Michel, 1997.
"Bayesian option pricing using asymmetric GARCH,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1997059, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-31, February.
- E.Panopoulou & T. Pantelidis, 2005. "Integration at a cost: Evidence from volatility impulse response functions," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n1540305, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Luis Fernando Melo Velandia & Oscar Reinaldo Becerra Camargo, .
"Una aproximación a la dinámica de las tasas de interés de corto plazo en Colombia a través de modelos GARCH multivariados,"
Borradores de Economia
366, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Luis Fernando Melo Velandia & Oscar Reinaldo Becerra Camargo, 2006. "Una Aproximación a La Dinámica de las Tasas de Interés de Corto Plazo en Colombia a través de Modelos GARCH Multivariados," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003694, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Hafner, C.M. & Rombouts, J.V.K., 2004.
"Semiparametric multivariate volatility models,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 2004-21, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Walid Ben Omrane & Christian M. Hafner, 2009. "Information Spillover, Volatility and the Currency Markets for the Binary Choice Model," International Econometric Review (IER), Econometric Research Association, vol. 1(1), pages 50-62, April.
- Hafner, Christian M., 2000.
"Fourth moments of multivariate GARCH processes,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
2000,80, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Kalvinder Shields & Nilss Olekalns & Ãlan T. Henry & Chris Brooks, 2005.
"Measuring the Response of Macroeconomic Uncertainty to Shocks,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 87(2), pages 362-370, May.
- Kalvinder Shields & Nilss Olekalns & Ólan T. Henry & Chris Brooks, 2003. "Measuring the Response of Macroeconomic Uncertainty to Shocks," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 870, The University of Melbourne.
- Olan T. Henry & Nilss Olekalns & Kalvinder Shields, 2004. "Time Variation And Asymmetry In The World Price Of Covariance Risk: The Implications For International Diversification," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 907, The University of Melbourne.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.