Statistical inference for testing gini coefficients: an application for Colombia
AbstractThis paper uses Colombian household survey data collected over the period 1984-2005 to estimate Gini coeficients along with their corresponding standard errors. We �find a statistically signi�cant increase in wage income inequality following the adoption of the liberalisation measures of the early 1990s, and mixed evidence during the recovery years that followed the economic recession of the late 1990s. We also �nd that in several cases the observed diferences in the Gini coeficients across cities have not been statistically signi�cant.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO in its series DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO with number 005658.
Date of creation: 12 Jun 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Inequality; Gini coe¢ cient; bootstrap; Colombia.;
Other versions of this item:
- Luis Fernando Gamboa & Andrés García-Suaza & Jesús Otero, 2010. "Statistical inference for testing Gini Coefficients: An application for Colombia," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-07-03 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Birchenall, Javier A., 2001. "Income distribution, human capital and economic growth in Colombia," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 271-287, October.
- Javier A. Birchenall, 2007. "Income distribution and macroeconomics in Colombia," Journal of Income Distribution, Journal of Income Distribution, vol. 16(2), pages 6-24, June.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Andrés Felipe García & Carlos Esteban Posada, .
"La metodología de la Encuesta Continua de Hogares y el empalme de las series del mercado laboral urbano de Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
410, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Arango Luis Eduardo & Andrés Felipe Garcia & Carlos Esteban Posada, 2008. "La metodología de la Encuesta Continua de Hogares y el empalme de las series del mercado laboral urbano de Colombia," REVISTA DESARROLLO Y SOCIEDAD, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Andrés Felipe García & Carlos Esteban Posada, 2006. "La metodología de la Encuesta Continua de Hogares y el empalme de las series del mercado laboral urbano de Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003039, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Russell Davidson, 2007.
"Reliable Inference For The Gini Index,"
- Cunningham, Wendy & Jacobsen, Joyce P., 2008. "Earnings inequality within and across gender, racial, and ethnic groups in four Latin American Countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4591, The World Bank.
- Baer, Werner & Maloney, William, 1997. "Neoliberalism and income distribution in Latin America," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 311-327, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publicaciones Economía).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.