An Evaluation of the Contractionary Devaluation Hypothesis
AbstractRecent empirical and theoretical literature on the impact of real exchange rate devaluations on economic performance questions the traditional expansionary effect generated within standard Mundell-Fleming models. Contractionary devaluations may arise when firms face maturity or currency mismatches that, when faced with real exchange rate depreciations, lead to balance-sheet effects that erode firms’ wealth and lead to an output contraction. While some authors show that the standard Mundell-Fleming result may hold even in the presence of currency mismatches, others point out that, if the balance sheet effect is large enough, devaluations can be contractionary. Using a large panel of 57 countries across the world and various newly constructed measures of dollarization, we test whether the balance sheet effect hypothesis has been relevant during the past decades in explaining economic downturns. Additionally, we explore the channels through which devaluations can be contractionary; in particular, we explore whether investment and consumption decisions are negatively affected by exchange rate devaluations under currency mismatches.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata in its series Department of Economics, Working Papers with number 064.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2006
Date of revision:
Currency depreciation; Debt composition; Balance sheet effects.;
Other versions of this item:
- Ricardo N. Bebczuk & Ugo Panizza & Arturo Galindo, 2006. "An Evaluation of the Contractionary Devaluation Hypothesis," Research Department Publications 4486, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- E0 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General
- F0 - International Economics - - General
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Galiani, Sebastian & Levy Yeyati, Eduardo & Schargrodsky, Ernesto, 2003.
"Financial dollarization and debt deflation under a currency board,"
Emerging Markets Review,
Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 340-367, December.
- Sebastian Galiani & Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Ernesto Schargrodsky, 2003. "Financial Dollarization and Debt Deflation under a Currency Board," Working Papers 64, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Nov 2003.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Ernesto Schargrodsky & Sebastián Galiani, 2003. "Finantial Dollarization and Debt Deflation under a Currency Board," Business School Working Papers tres, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- J. Saul Lizondo & Peter J. Montiel, 1989. "Contractionary Devaluation in Developing Countries: An Analytical Overview," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(1), pages 182-227, March.
- Baer, Werner & Maloney, William, 1997. "Neoliberalism and income distribution in Latin America," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 311-327, March.
- Martinez, Lorenza & Werner, Alejandro, 2002. "The exchange rate regime and the currency composition of corporate debt: the Mexican experience," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 315-334, December.
- Aguiar, Mark, 2005. "Investment, devaluation, and foreign currency exposure: The case of Mexico," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 95-113, October.
- Benavente, Jose Miguel & Johnson, Christian A. & Morande, Felipe G., 2003. "Debt composition and balance sheet effects of exchange rate depreciations: a firm-level analysis for Chile," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 397-416, December.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Alejandro Izquierdo & Rudy Loo-Kung, 2005.
"Relative Price Volatility Under Sudden Stops: The Relevance of Balance Sheet Effects,"
NBER Working Papers
11492, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Izquierdo, Alejandro & Loo-Kung, Rudy, 2006. "Relative price volatility under Sudden Stops: The relevance of balance sheet effects," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 231-254, June.
- Martins, Betina Guimarães Dodsworth & Pinto, Rodrigo Ribeiro Antunes & Bonomo, Marco Antônio Cesar, 2004.
"Debt composition and exchange rate balance sheet effects in Brazil: A firm level analysis,"
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
535, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Bonomo, Marco & Martins, Betina & Pinto, Rodrigo, 2003. "Debt composition and exchange rate balance sheet effect in Brazil: a firm level analysis," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 368-396, December.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2006.
"Financial dollarization: evaluating the consequences,"
CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 21(45), pages 61-118, 01.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2005. "Financial Dollarisation: Evaluating The Consequences," Business School Working Papers findollarisation, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Eduardo Levy-Yeyati, 2004. "FINANCIAL DOLLARIZATION: Evaluating the consequences," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 184, Econometric Society.
- Galindo, Arturo & Panizza, Ugo & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 2003. "Debt composition and balance sheet effects of currency depreciation: a summary of the micro evidence," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 330-339, December.
- Galindo, Arturo & Izquierdo, Alejandro & Montero, Jose Manuel, 2007.
"Real exchange rates, dollarization and industrial employment in Latin America,"
Emerging Markets Review,
Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 284-298, December.
- Arturo Galindo & Alejandro Izquierdo & José Manuel Montero, 2006. "Real Exchange Rates, Dollarization and Industrial Employment in Latin America," Research Department Publications 4478, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Arturo Galindo & Alejandro Izquierdo & José M. Montero, 2006. "Real exchange rates, dollarization and industrial employment in Latin America," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0601, Banco de Espa�a.
- Luis Felipe Céspedes & Roberto Chang & Andrés Velasco, 2004.
"Balance Sheets and Exchange Rate Policy,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(4), pages 1183-1193, September.
- Paul Krugman, 1999. "Balance Sheets, the Transfer Problem, and Financial Crises," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 459-472, November.
- Echeverry, Juan Carlos & Fergusson, Leopoldo & Steiner, Roberto & Aguilar, Camila, 2003. "'Dollar' debt in Colombian firms: are sinners punished during devaluations?," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 417-449, December.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Saravelos, George, 2011.
"Can Leading Indicators Assess Country Vulnerability? Evidence from the 2008-09 Global Financial Crisis,"
Working Paper Series
rwp11-024, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Saravelos, George, 2012. "Can leading indicators assess country vulnerability? Evidence from the 2008–09 global financial crisis," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 216-231.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Saravelo, George, 2011. "Can Leading Indicators Assess Country Vulnerability? Evidence from the 2008-09 Global Financial Crisis," Scholarly Articles 5027952, Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Erdal ÖZMEN & Cihan YALÇIN, 2007.
"Küresel finansal riskler karşısında Türkiye’de reel sektörün finansal yapısı ve borç dolarizasyonu,"
Iktisat Isletme ve Finans,
Bilgesel Yayincilik, vol. 22(258), pages 5-39.
- Erdal Ozmen & Cihan Yalcin, 2007. "Kuresel Finansal Riskler Karsisinda Turkiye'de Reel Sektor Finansal Yapisi ve Borc Dolarizasyonu," Working Papers 0706, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Towbin, Pascal & Weber, Sebastian, 2013.
"Limits of floating exchange rates: The role of foreign currency debt and import structure,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 101(C), pages 179-194.
- Pascal Towbin & Sebastian Weber, 2011. "Limits of Floating Exchange Rates: the Role of Foreign Currency Debt and Import Structure," IMF Working Papers 11/42, International Monetary Fund.
- Bordo, Michael D. & Meissner, Christopher M. & Stuckler, David, 2010.
"Foreign currency debt, financial crises and economic growth: A long-run view,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 642-665, June.
- Michael D. Bordo & Christopher M. Meissner & David Stuckler, 2009. "Foreign Currency Debt, Financial Crises and Economic Growth: A Long Run View," NBER Working Papers 15534, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Bordo & David Stuckler & Chris Meissner, 2009. "Foreign Currency Debt, Financial Crises and Economic Growth: A Long Run View," Working Papers 921, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Alexey Ponomarenko & Alexandra Solovyeva & Elena Vasilieva, 2013.
"Financial dollarization in Russia: causes and consequences,"
Macroeconomics and Finance in Emerging Market Economies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(2), pages 221-243, September.
- Ponomarenko, Alexey & Solovyeva, Alexandra & Vasilieva, Elena, 2012. "Financial dollarization in Russia: causes and consequences," BOFIT Discussion Papers 36/2011, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Bussière, Matthieu & Saxena, Sweta C. & Tovar, Camilo E., 2010.
"Chronicle of currency collapses: re-examining the effects on output,"
Working Paper Series
1226, European Central Bank.
- Bussière, Matthieu & Saxena, Sweta C. & Tovar, Camilo E., 2012. "Chronicle of currency collapses: Re examining the effects on output," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 680-708.
- Matthieu Bussière & Sweta c Saxena & Camilo Tovar, 2010. "Chronicle of currency collapses: re-examining the effects on output," BIS Working Papers 314, Bank for International Settlements.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & George Saravelos, 2010. "Are Leading Indicators of Financial Crises Useful for Assessing Country Vulnerability? Evidence from the 2008-09 Global Crisis," NBER Working Papers 16047, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diego Fernandez Felices).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.