Effects of Subsidized Health Insurance on Newborn Health in Colombia
AbstractColombia's rapid expansion of health insurance coverage in the 1990s provides an opportunity to evaluate whether health insurance coverage positively affects health care usage and outcomes. We use the discontinuity in eligibility for the Subsidized Regime (SR), the subsidized health insurance for the poor, to see if the Subsidized Regime increased the incidence of doctor assisted births, prenatal care, and hospital deliveries; and if it improved newborn health measured by birth weight, gestation period, Apgar score and incidence of low (lbw) and very low birth weight (vlbw). We find that the Subsidized Regime had positive effects on newborn birth weight, but although positive, not consistently significant effects on other health measures or access to medical personnel and facilities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE in its series DOCUMENTOS CEDE with number 005007.
Date of creation: 14 Aug 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-09-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2008-09-20 (Development)
- NEP-HEA-2008-09-20 (Health Economics)
- NEP-IAS-2008-09-20 (Insurance Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carlos Medina & Jairo Núñez & Jorge Andrés Tamayo, 2013.
"The Unemployment Subsidy Program in Colombia: An Assessment,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
010393, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Carlos medina & Jairo Núñez & Jorge Andrés Tamayo, 2013. "The Unemployment Subsidy Program in Colombia: An Assessment," Borradores de Economia 750, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Carlos Medina & Jairo Nunez & Jorge Andres Tamayo, 2013. "The Unemployment Subsidy Program in Colombia: An Assessment," Research Department Publications IDB-WP-369, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Grant Miller & Diana M. Pinto & Marcos Vera-Hernández, 2009.
"Risk Protection, Service Use, and Health Outcomes Under Colombia’s Health Insurance Program for the Poor,"
NBER Working Papers
15456, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grant Miller & Diana Pinto & Marcos Vera-Hernández, 2013. "Risk Protection, Service Use, and Health Outcomes under Colombia's Health Insurance Program for the Poor," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 5(4), pages 61-91, October.
- Miller, G & Pinto, D & Vera Hernandez, M, . "Risk protection, service use, and health outcomes under Colombia's health insurance program for the Poor," Open Access publications from University College London http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Adriana Camacho & Emily Conover, 2009. "Manipulation of Social Program Eligibility: Detection, Explanations and Consequences for Empirical Research," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 006211, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.