Assessing Health Reform in Colombia: From Theory to Practice
AbstractIn 1993, Colombia implemented an ambitious health reform. Its key component was a radical transformation of the manner in which health care provision, particularly care that was directed toward lower-income individuals, was financed. We first describe the institutional aspects of the reform and discuss the difficulties that transferring funding from supply- to demand-side channels entailed. We emphasize that while the reform substantially increased health insurance coverage, progress was slower than forecast and entailed a substantial increase in expenditure. The second part of the paper evaluates the impact of the subsidized regime that the reform introduced to benefit the low-income population. We explore the subsidized regime’s effect on health outcomes measured through self-reports on health status and on the number of days in which individuals were unable to perform regular activities, the use of medical services, household consumption of nonhealth goods, and labor force participation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION in its journal Journal of LACEA Economia.
Volume (Year): (2006)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Grant Miller & Diana Pinto & Marcos Vera-Hernández, 2013.
"Risk Protection, Service Use, and Health Outcomes under Colombia's Health Insurance Program for the Poor,"
American Economic Journal: Applied Economics,
American Economic Association, vol. 5(4), pages 61-91, October.
- Miller, G & Pinto, D & Vera Hernandez, M, . "Risk protection, service use, and health outcomes under Colombia's health insurance program for the Poor," Open Access publications from University College London http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Grant Miller & Diana M. Pinto & Marcos Vera-Hernández, 2009. "Risk Protection, Service Use, and Health Outcomes Under Colombia’s Health Insurance Program for the Poor," NBER Working Papers 15456, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adriana Cardozo & Melanie Grosse, 2009.
"Pro-Poor Growth Using Non-Income Indicators: An Empirical Illustration for Colombia,"
Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers
192, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Adriana Cardozo & Melanie Grosse, 2009. "Pro-Poor Growth Using Non-Income Indicators: An Empirical Illustration for Colombia," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 9, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Carlos Medina & Leonardo Fabio Morales, 2007.
"Demanda por Servicios Públicos Domiciliarios en Colombia y Subsidios: Implicaciones sobre el Bienestar,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
004293, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Carlos Medina & Leonardo Fabio Morales, . "Demanda por Servicios Públicos Domiciliarios en Colombia y Subsidios: Implicaciones sobre el Bienestar," Borradores de Economia 467, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Martha Bottia & Lina Cardona & Carlos Medina, .
"Bondades y Limitaciones de la Focalización con Proxy Means Tests: El Caso del Sisben en Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
539, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Martha Bottia & Lina Cardona & Carlos Medina, 2008. "Bondades y Limitaciones de la Focalización con Proxy Means Tests: El Caso del Sisben en Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 005185, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Medina Carlos & Leonardo Morales, 2008. "Demanda por servicios públicos domiciliarios y pérdida irrecuperable de los subsidios: el caso colombiano," REVISTA DESARROLLO Y SOCIEDAD, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Carlos Medina & Jairo Nunez & Jorge Andres Tamayo, 2013.
"The Unemployment Subsidy Program in Colombia: An Assessment,"
Research Department Publications
IDB-WP-369, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Carlos Medina & Jairo Núñez & Jorge Andrés Tamayo, 2013. "The Unemployment Subsidy Program in Colombia: An Assessment," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 010393, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Carlos medina & Jairo Núñez & Jorge Andrés Tamayo, 2013. "The Unemployment Subsidy Program in Colombia: An Assessment," Borradores de Economia 750, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Roberto Steiner & Irene Clavijo & Natalia Salazar, 2008. "Colombia’s Efforts at Achieving Inclusive and Sustainable Growth: The Road Traveled and the Challenges Ahead," INFORMES DE INVESTIGACIÃN 009058, FEDESARROLLO.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carolina Prada Gutiérrez).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.