The Determinants of The Health Status in a Developing Country: results from the Colombian Case
AbstractWe find empirical evidence of the health determinants as a measure of health capital in a developing country after a deep reform of its health-care sector. we use the model of Grossman and take, besides individual and socioeconomic variables, institutional variables. Two surveys from 1997 and 2000, with a subjective (self-report) health status of the individuals, and information about health system affiliation type, were used. The estimation method is an order probit model. The results show an important connection of individual , institutional and socioeconomic variables with the health status. Although the access to medical care seems to strenght the inequities in health outcome, the purpose of the social security reform of affiliating the vulnerable population is met.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Universidad de Antioquia, Departamento de Economía in its journal LECTURAS DE ECONOMÍA.
Volume (Year): (2005)
Issue (Month): 63 (Julio-Diciembre)
Postal: Lecturas de Economía, Departamento de Economía, Calle 67, 53-108, Medellin 050010, Colombia.
Other versions of this item:
- Ramirez Manuel & Juan Miguel Gallego & Carlos Sepulveda, 2004. "The determinants of the health status in a developing country: results form the colombian case," BORRADORES DE INVESTIGACIÃN 003581, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- J0 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - General
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- J3 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Attanasio, O & Emmerson, C, 2003.
"Differential mortality in the UK,"
Open Access publications from University College London
http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- William D. Savedoff & T. Paul Schultz, 2000. "Earnings and the Elusive Dividends of Health," Research Department Publications 3108, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Michael Baker & Mark Stabile & Catherine Deri, 2001.
"What do Self-Reported, Objective, Measures of Health Measure?,"
NBER Working Papers
8419, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Baker & Mark Stabile & Catherine Deri, 2004. "What Do Self-Reported, Objective, Measures of Health Measure?," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 39(4).
- Antonio J. Trujillo, 2003. "Medical care use and selection in a social health insurance with an equalization fund: evidence from Colombia," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 231-246.
- Grossman, Michael, 1972. "On the Concept of Health Capital and the Demand for Health," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(2), pages 223-55, March-Apr.
- John S. Akin & David K. Guilkey & Paul L. Hutchinson & Michael T. Mcintosh, 1998. "Price elasticities of demand for curative health care with control for sample selectivity on endogenous illness: an analysis for Sri Lanka," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(6), pages 509-531.
- Gerdtham, U. -G. & Johannesson, M. & Lundberg, L. & Isacson, D., 1999. "The demand for health: results from new measures of health capital," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 501-521, September.
- World Bank, 2009. "Colombia - Decentralization : Options and Incentives for Efficiency - Sector Annexes," World Bank Other Operational Studies 3097, The World Bank.
- Luis Miguel Tovar Cuevas & Fabio Alberto Arias Arbeláez, 2005. "Determinantes Del Estado De Salud De La Población Colombiana," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO-CIDSE 002323, UNIVERSIDAD DEL VALLE - CIDSE.
- Gustavo Adolfo García Cruz. & Luís Miguel Tovar Cuevas, 2006. "La Percepción del Estado de Salud: Una Mirada a las Regiones desde la Encuesta de Calidad de Vida 2003," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO-CIDSE 003972, UNIVERSIDAD DEL VALLE - CIDSE.
- Grupo GES, 2005. "Macroeconomía y salud en Colombia," OBSERVATORIO SEGURIDAD SOCIAL 003183, GRUPO DE ECONOMÍA DE LA SALUD.
- World Bank, 2009. "Colombia - Decentralization : Options and Incentives for Efficiency - Main Report," World Bank Other Operational Studies 3096, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlos Andrés Vasco Correa).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.