Estimating Market Probabilities of Future Interest Rate Changes
AbstractThe goal of this paper is to estimate the market consensus forecast of future monetary policy development and to quantify the priced-in probability of interest rate changes for different future time horizons. The proposed model uses the current spot money market yield curve and available money market derivative instruments (forward rate agreements, FRAs) and estimates the market probability of interest rate changes up to a 12-month horizon. The estimated probabilities and possible interest rate scenarios are consistent with the observed money market and FRA interest rates. Thus, the model's output has to be interpreted as a description of the current market consensus on future monetary conditions rather than a tool for predicting or setting the correct level of interest rates. The estimation method is based on standard money market data and thus is applicable to any developed financial market. The probability structure of expected interest rate changes in the future could serve as an indicator of the money market reaction to macroeconomic data releases and verbal interventions of monetary authorities. It also allows us to measure the extent of monetary policy predictability and thus to quantify the surprise effects of unexpected monetary policy changes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Czech National Bank, Research Department in its series Working Papers with number 2002/02.
Date of creation: Dec 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Na Prikope 28, 115 03 Prague 1
Phone: 00420 2 2442 1111
Fax: 00420 2 2421 8522
Web page: http://www.cnb.cz/en/research/research_intro/
More information through EDIRC
Monetary Policy; Term Structure of Interest Rates; Market Expectations;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pierluigi Balduzzi & Giuseppe Bertola & Silverio Foresi, 1993.
"A Model of Target Changes and the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
4347, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Balduzzi, Pierluigi & Bertola, Giuseppe & Foresi, Silverio, 1997. "A model of target changes and the term structure of interest rates," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 223-249, July.
- Soderlind, Paul & Svensson, Lars, 1997.
"New techniques to extract market expectations from financial instruments,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 383-429, October.
- Söderlind, Paul & Svensson, Lars E.O., 1997. "New Techniques to Extract Market Expectations from Financial Instruments," Seminar Papers 621, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Söderlind, Paul & Svensson, Lars E O, 1997. "New Techniques to Extract Market Expectations from Financial Instruments," CEPR Discussion Papers 1556, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Soderlind, P & Svensson, L-E-O, 1996. "New Techniques to Extract Market Expectations from Financial Instruments," Papers 621, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Söderlind, Paul & Svensson, Lars E.O., 1996. "New Techniques to Extract Market expectations from Financial Instruments," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 142, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Paul Soderlind & Lars E. O. Svensson, 1997. "New Techniques to Extract Market Expectations from Financial Instruments," NBER Working Papers 5877, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Söderström, Ulf, 1999.
"Predicting monetary policy using federal funds future prices,"
Working Paper Series
85, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Söderström, Ulf, 1999. "Predicting monetary policy using federal funds futures prices," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 307, Stockholm School of Economics.
- John C. Robertson & Daniel L. Thornton, 1997. "Using federal funds futures rates to predict Federal Reserve actions," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 45-53.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jan Babecky).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.