MAcMap-HS6 2007, an exhaustive and consistent measure of applied protection in 2007
AbstractThe third version of the MAcMap-HS6 database, built as a result of a joint effort of CEPII (Centre d'Études Prospectives et d’Informations Internationales, Paris) and ITC (International Trade Centre, Geneva), based on ITC’s MAcMap raw data, proposes an exhaustive and consistent measure of applied, preferential tariff protection in 2007. The methodology, similar to the one used for previous versions, relies on reference groups of countries to limit the endogeneity bias faced when computing ad valorem equivalents of tariff protection, and when computing averages at aggregate levels. The world average applied protection level in 2007 is estimated to be 4.4%. Compared to 2004, this is a decline by nearly 0.7 percentage point, mainly due to unilateral liberalizations and to new preferential trade agreements. The decline in the ad valorem equivalent of specific tariffs of some agricultural products, linked to the surge in world prices, lowers the average protection. In the opposite way, the increasing share of developing countries, where protection is higher, tend to raise the world average.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CEPII research center in its series Working Papers with number 2012-10.
Date of creation: May 2012
Date of revision:
PROTECTION; TARIFFS; TRADE POLICY; DATABASE;
Other versions of this item:
- Houssein Guimbard & Sébastien Jean & Mondher Mimouni & Xavier Pichot, 2012. "MAcMap-HS6 2007, an Exhaustive and Consistent Measure of Applied Protection in 2007," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 130, pages 99-122.
- F02 - International Economics - - General - - - International Economic Order; Noneconomic International Organizations;; Economic Integration and Globalization: General
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F18 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Environment
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-06-05 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antoine Berthou & Charlotte Emlinger, 2011.
"The Trade Unit Values Database,"
2011-10, CEPII research center.
- James E. Anderson & J. Peter Neary, 2005. "Measuring the Restrictiveness of International Trade Policy," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262012200, January.
- Gaulier, Guillaume & Zignago, Soledad, 2004.
"Notes on BACI (analytical database of international trade). 1989-2002 version,"
32401, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2010. "BACI: International Trade Database at the Product-Level. The 1994-2007 Version," Working Papers 2010-23, CEPII research center.
- Abbott, Philip C. & Paarlberg, Philip L., 1998. "Tariff rate quotas: structural and stability impacts in growing markets," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 257-267, December.
- Antoine Bou�t & Yvan Decreux & Lionel Fontagné & Sébastien Jean & David Laborde, 2008. "Assessing Applied Protection across the World," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(5), pages 850-863, November.
- Antoine Bouët & Yvan Decreux & Lionel Fontagné & Sébastien Jean & David Laborde, 2004. "A Consistent, Ad-Valorem Equivalent Measure of Applied Protection Across the World: The MAcMap-HS6 Database," Working Papers 2004-22, CEPII research center.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Will the right tariff average stand up? - by Alan Matthews
by Alan Matthews in CAP Reform.eu on 2012-05-31 07:27:56
- Ferreira-Lopes, Alexandra & Sousa, Cândida & Carvalho, Helena & Crespo, Nuno, 2013.
"Trade Protectionism and Intra-industry Trade: A USA - EU Comparison,"
49379, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ferreira-Lopes, Alexandra & Sousa, Cândida & Carvalho, Helena & Crespo, Nuno, 2013. "Trade Protectionism and Intra-industry Trade: A USA - EU Comparison," MPRA Paper 49482, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jean-Christophe Bureau & Sébastien Jean, 2013.
"Trade liberalization in the bio-economy: coping with a new landscape,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 44(s1), pages 173-182, November.
- Jean-Christophe Bureau & Sébastien Jean, 2013. "Trade Liberalization in the Bio-Economy: Coping with a New Landscape," Working Papers 2013-15, CEPII research center.
- Emlinger, Charlotte & Guimbard, Houssein, 2013. "Per-Unit Duties: Friends Or Foes Of Developing Country Exporters?," 135th Seminar, August 28-30, 2013, Belgrade, Serbia 160381, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Angela Cheptea & Charlotte Emlinger & Karine Latouche, 2012.
"Multinational Retailers and Home Country Exports,"
2012-34, CEPII research center.
- Cheptea, Angela & Emlinger, Charlotte & Latouche, Karine, 2012. "Multinational Retailers and Home Country Exports," 2012: New Rules of Trade?, December 2012, San Diego, California 142777, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Angela Cheptea & Charlotte Emlinger & Karine Latouche, 2013. "Multinational Retailers and Home Country Exports," Working Papers SMART - LERECO 13-03, INRA UMR SMART.
- Jean Fouré & Houssein Guimbard & Stéphanie Monjon, 2013. "Border Carbon Ajustment in Europe and Trade Retaliation: What would be the Cost for European Union?," Working Papers 2013-34, CEPII research center.
- Charlotte Emlinger & Houssein Guimbard, 2013. "Per-Unit Duties: Friends or Foes of Developing Country Exporters?," Working Papers 2013-23, CEPII research center.
- Himics, Mihaly & Britz, Wolfgang, 2013. "Trade Diversion Effects of Preferential Trade Agreements Under Tariff Rate Quota Regimes," 135th Seminar, August 28-30, 2013, Belgrade, Serbia 160383, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.