The Trade Unit Values Database
AbstractTrade unit values are commonly used as proxies for trade prices in empirical research in international economics. Existing datasets providing international trade unit values for a large number of countries typically suffer from a number of statistical biases, due to the aggregation of unit values and the harmonization of quantity information. These biases reduce the reliability of unit values as a proxy for trade prices. This paper presents the Trade Unit Values dataset, a new database developed to circumvent these statistical issues. Bilateral trade unit values are computed at a very high level of disaggregation before aggregation into Harmonized-System 6-digits categories to allow for cross-country comparability. Our processing strategy improves the differentiation of trade prices within product categories, as compared to existing worldwide datasets. A simple econometric analysis shows that unit values in our database are well explained by economic aggregates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CEPII research center in its series Working Papers with number 2011-10.
Date of creation: Apr 2011
Date of revision:
UNIT VALUE; TRADE PRICE; INTERNATIONAL TRADE;
Other versions of this item:
- E3 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- F4 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-05-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-INT-2011-05-07 (International Trade)
- NEP-MAC-2011-05-07 (Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Houssein Guimbard & Sébastien Jean & Mondher Mimouni & Xavier Pichot, 2012.
"MAcMap-HS6 2007, an exhaustive and consistent measure of applied protection in 2007,"
2012-10, CEPII research center.
- Houssein Guimbard & Sébastien Jean & Mondher Mimouni & Xavier Pichot, 2012. "MAcMap-HS6 2007, an Exhaustive and Consistent Measure of Applied Protection in 2007," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 130, pages 99-122.
- Olga Solleder, 2013. "Panel Export Taxes (PET) Dataset: New Data on Export Tax Rates," IHEID Working Papers 07-2013, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies, revised 04 Apr 2013.
- Del Rosal Fernández, Ignacio, 2013. "Las condiciones de entrega en el comercio exterior español /Terms of Delivery in the Spanish International Trade," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 31, pages 249 (24pags, Enero.
- Gabor Bekes & Balazs Murakozy & Zsuzsa Munkacsi & Gabor Oblath, 2013. "Unit Values, Unit Labor Costs and Trade Performance in Four Central European Countries," IEHAS Discussion Papers 1329, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Giorgia Giovannetti & Marco Sanfilippo, 2013.
"China's Competition and the Export Price Strategies of Developed Countries,"
Working Papers Series
wp2013_02.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze dell'Economia e Dell'Impresa.
- Giorgia Giovannetti & Marco Sanfilippo, 2012. "China’s competition and the export price strategies of developed countries," FIW Working Paper series 102, FIW.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.