Assessing Barriers to Trade in the Distribution and Telecom Sectors in Emerging Countries
AbstractWe compute ad valorem equivalents (AVEs) for the regulation in three service sectors (i.e. fixed telecom, mobile telecom, distribution) applied by selected emerging countries. We start with qualitative information on the restrictions applied by each country in each sector on the basis of which we apply a multivariate statistical approach, to transform this qualitative data into a trade restrictiveness synthetic index (STRI). In a second stage we estimate the average impact of STRI on price cost margins, using a method avoiding the usual two-stage estimation. In the third stage, this impact is used to calculate the AVE of the STRI estimated in the first step. It is shown that the STRI has a significant effect on the price-cost margins of the individual firms only when controlled for Regional trade Agreements and exception to the MFN clause in the considered sector. Lastly, we compute tariff equivalents for the STRIs previously calculated using the estimated impact. More than half our AVEs are larger than 50% and one AVE out of six is above 100%.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CEPII research center in its series Working Papers with number 2009-37.
Date of creation: Dec 2009
Date of revision:
SERVICES; AD VALOREM EQUIVALENTS;
Other versions of this item:
- Fontagné, Lionel & Mitaritonna, Cristina, 2013. "Assessing barriers to trade in the distribution and telecom sectors in emerging countries," World Trade Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(01), pages 57-78, January.
- L80 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - General
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-01-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-INT-2010-01-23 (International Trade)
- NEP-REG-2010-01-23 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nora Dihel & Ben Shepherd, 2007. "Modal Estimates of Services Barriers," OECD Trade Policy Papers 51, OECD Publishing.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2003. "Cluster-Sample Methods in Applied Econometrics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(2), pages 133-138, May.
- Mohamed Ali Marouani & Laura Munro, 2009.
"Assessing Barriers to Trade in Services in the MENA Region,"
OECD Trade Policy Papers
84, OECD Publishing.
- Mohamed Ali Marouani & Laura Munro, 2009. "Assessing Barriers To Trade In Services In The Mena Region," Working Papers 496, Economic Research Forum, revised Jul 2009.
- Henk Kox & Hildegunn Kyvik Nordås, 2007.
"Services Trade and Domestic Regulation,"
OECD Trade Policy Papers
49, OECD Publishing.
- Lionel Fontagné & Amélie Guillin & Cristina Mitaritonna, 2011. "Estimations of Tariff Equivalents for the Services Sectors," Working Papers 2011-24, CEPII research center.
- Decreux, Yvan & Milner, Chris, 2010. "Some New Insights into the Effects of the EU-South Korea Free Trade Area: The Role of Non Tariff Barriers," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 25, pages 783-817.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.