Assessing Barriers To Trade In Services In The Mena Region
AbstractThis paper aims to assess barriers to service provision in the financial, telecom, and transport sectors of selected MENA countries, including both trade and domestic restrictions. The analysis is focused on computation of aggregate and modal trade restrictiveness indexes (TRIs) by sector, drawing on information gathered from detailed questionnaires and country reports prepared by local consultants. The conclusions highlight that significant regulatory reforms have taken place in the service sectors of Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon and Morocco over the last decade, but that a broad range of restrictions still remain. The most significant change in these service sectors has been the lifting or softening of the constraints imposed on foreign equity participation. Reforms, however, have had varying degrees of impact on market structure depending on the country and the sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic Research Forum in its series Working Papers with number 496.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2009
Date of revision: Jul 2009
Publication status: Published by The Economic Research Forum (ERF)
Other versions of this item:
- Mohamed Ali Marouani & Laura Munro, 2009. "Assessing Barriers to Trade in Services in the MENA Region," OECD Trade Policy Papers 84, OECD Publishing.
- NEP-ALL-2010-06-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-ARA-2010-06-26 (MENA - Middle East & North Africa)
- NEP-CWA-2010-06-26 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-INT-2010-06-26 (International Trade)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fontagné, Lionel & Mitaritonna, Cristina, 2013.
"Assessing barriers to trade in the distribution and telecom sectors in emerging countries,"
World Trade Review,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(01), pages 57-78, January.
- Lionel Fontagné & Cristina Mitaritonna, 2009. "Assessing Barriers to Trade in the Distribution and Telecom Sectors in Emerging Countries," Working Papers 2009-37, CEPII research center.
- Borchert, Ingo & Gootiiz, Batshur & Grover, Arti & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2012. "Landlocked or policy locked ? how services trade protection deepens economic isolation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5942, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Namees Nabeel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.