Regulation, market structure and performance in air passenger transportation
AbstractThe paper uses a data base on regulation, market structure and performance in the air passenger transportation industry, to analyse the links among liberalisation, private ownership, competition, efficiency and airfares at national and route levels. Covering the 1996-97 travel season, 21 aggregate indicators have been developed for 27 OECD countries, and 23 micro indicators for 102 air routes connecting 14 major international airports. These data are summarised by means of factor analysis. Controlling for market size, network length and other technological and economic differences, and combining national and route-level characteristics, cross-country and cross-route regressions show that i) productive efficiency increases and fares decline when regulations and market structures become more friendly to competition; ii) productive efficiency is sensitive to actual competitive pressures, as proxied by market concentration; iii) fares react to liberalisation independently from market structure, but in liberal environments their decline is amplified by actual competition between carriers; iv) business and economy fares tend to decline when they are liberalised and market concentration is reduced, but tend to increase when markets are dominated by airline alliances on the route; v) discount fares are affected by the overall market environment at route ends, charter regulations and the actual presence of challenger airlines on the route; and vi) airport congestion and dominance tend to increase fares in time-sensitive market segments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by OECD Publishing in its journal OECD Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 2001 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Other versions of this item:
- Rauf Gönenç & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2000. "Regulation, Market Structure and Performance in Air Passenger Transportation," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 254, OECD Publishing.
- K23 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law - - - Regulated Industries and Administrative Law
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
- L32 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Public Enterprises; Public-Private Enterprises
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- L93 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Air Transportation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Adriana Kugler & Giovanni Pica, 2003.
"The Effects of Employment Protection and Product Market Regulations on the Italian Labor Market,"
LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series
28, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Kugler, Adriana & Pica, Giovanni, 2003. "The effects of employment protection and product market regulations on the Italian labor market," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 0310, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Adriana Kugler & Giovanni Pica, 2003.
"Effects of employment protection and product market regulations on the Italian labor market,"
Economics Working Papers
722, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Kugler, Adriana & Pica, Giovanni, 2003. "Effects of Employment Protection and Product Market Regulations on the Italian Labor Market," IZA Discussion Papers 948, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kugler, Adriana D. & Pica, Giovanni, 2004. "Effects of Employment Protection and Product Market Regulations on the Italian Labour Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 4216, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Piermartini, Roberta & Rousova, Linda, 2009. "Free Sky and Clouds of Restrictions," Discussion Papers in Economics 10944, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Arvis, Jean-François & Shepherd, Ben, 2011. "The air connectivity index : measuring integration in the global air transport network," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5722, The World Bank.
- Zhang, Yahua & Findlay, Christopher, 2014. "Air transport policy and its impacts on passenger traffic and tourist flows," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 42-48.
- Cheng, Kuangnen & Lee, Zu-Hsu & Shomali, Hamid, 2012. "Airline firm boundary and ticket distribution in electronic markets," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 137-144.
- World Bank, 2009. "Tunisia's Global Integration : A Second Generation of Reforms to Boost Growth and Employment," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6298, January.
- Lücke, Matthias & Spinanger, Dean, 2004. "Liberalizing international trade in services: Challenges and opportunities for developing countries," Kiel Discussion Papers 412, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Alan V. Deardorff & Robert M. Stern, 2003. "Empirical Analysis of Barriers to International Services Transactions and the Consequences of Liberalization," Working Papers 505, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Geloso Grosso, Massimo & Shepherd, Ben, 2011. "Air cargo transport in APEC: Regulation and effects on merchandise trade," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 203-212, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.