Liberalizing trade in services : a survey
AbstractSince the mid 1980s a substantial amount of research has been undertaken on trade in services. Much of this is inspired by the World Trade Organization or regional trade agreements, especially the European Union, but an increasing number of papers focus on the impacts of services sector liberalization. This paper surveys the literature, focusing on contributions that investigate the determinants of international trade and investment in services, the potential gains from greater trade (and liberalization), and efforts to cooperate to achieve such liberalization through trade agreements. It concludes that there is increasing evidence that services liberalization is an important source of potential welfare gains, but relatively little research has been done that can inform the design of international cooperation-both trade agreements and development assistance-so as to more effectively promote development objectives.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 4030.
Date of creation: 01 Oct 2006
Date of revision:
Economic Theory&Research; Trade and Services; Free Trade; Transport Economics Policy&Planning; ICT Policy and Strategies;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bernard Hoekman & Aaditya Mattoo & André Sapir, 2007.
"The political economy of services trade liberalization: a case for international regulatory cooperation?,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 23(3), pages 367-391, Autumn.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Mattoo, Aaditya & Sapir, André, 2007. "The Political Economy of Services Trade Liberalization: A Case for International Regulatory Cooperation?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6457, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- André Sapir & Bernard Hoekman & Aaditya Mattoo, 2007. "The political economy of services trade liberalization: a case for international regulatory cooperation?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8098, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Brenton, Paul & Newfarmer, Richard & Walkenhorst, Peter, 2009. "Avenues for Export Diversification: Issues for Low-Income Countries," MPRA Paper 22758, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2008. "Services trade and growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4461, The World Bank.
- Aldaba, Rafaelita M. & Pasadilla, Gloria O., 2011.
"The ASEAN Services Sector and the Growth Rebalancing Model,"
DP 2011-01, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Aldaba, Rafaelita M. & Pasadilla, Gloria O., 2010. "The ASEAN Services Sector and the Growth Rebalancing Model," ADBI Working Papers 246, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Rafaelita M. Aldaba & Gloria O. Pasadilla, 2010. "The ASEAN Services Sector and the Growth Rebalancing Model," Working Papers id:2922, eSocialSciences.
- Fernandes, Ana M. & Paunov, Caroline, 2012. "Foreign direct investment in services and manufacturing productivity: Evidence for Chile," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 305-321.
- Joseph Francois & Julia Woerz, 2008.
"Producer Services, Manufacturing Linkages, and Trade,"
Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade,
Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 199-229, December.
- Joseph Francois & Julia Woerz, 2007. "Producer Services, Manufacturing Linkages, and Trade," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 07-045/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Joseph Francois & Julia Woerz, 2007. "Producer Services, Manufacturing Linkages, and Trade," FIW Working Paper series 002, FIW.
- Krushna Mohan Pattanaik, 2010. "Challenges and Prospects in the Measurement of Trade in Services," Working Papers 241, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore.
- Aldaba, Rafaelita M., 2013. "Twenty Years after Philippine Trade Liberalization and Industrialization: What Has Happened and Where Do We Go from Here," Discussion Papers DP 2013-21, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Carmen Fillat-Castej—n & Joseph Francois & Julia Woerz, 2008.
"TRADE THROUGH FDI: investing in services,"
IIDE Discussion Papers
20080502, Institue for International and Development Economics.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2007. "Regulatory cooperation, aid for trade and the general agreement on trade in services," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4451, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.