Some New Insights into the Effects of the EU-South Korea Free Trade Area: The Role of Non Tariff Barriers
AbstractThe present study proposes an updated and extended quantitative assessment of the EU-South Korea FTA, through a new version of MIRAGE CGE model. Several distinctive contributions are offered. Firstly, the quantitative assessment takes into account non-tariff barriers (NTBs) as well as tariffs. Second, it considers trade liberalization of goods, services as well as FDI (establishment). A third contribution is that simulations of policy changes are closely aligned with the actual agreement for each industry and service category. Finally, this article relies on recent techniques for calculating the tariff equivalents of NTBs following Kee et al. (2009). The main findings show that the EU may increase trade performance in several industries (chemicals, machinery, other manufactured and food products) as well as in specific services to a lesser extent (business, insurance and transport services ). On the other hand, Korea takes advantage of the agreement for specific manufactured products (textiles, leather/clothing, cars and other transport equipment).
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University in its journal Journal of Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): 25 (2010)
Issue (Month): ()
Free Trade Area; EU; Korea; CGE Models;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lionel Fontagné & Thierry Mayer & Soledad Zignago, 2005.
"Trade in the Triad: how easy is the access to large markets?,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 38(4), pages 1401-1430, November.
- Soledad Zignago & Lionel Fontagné & Thierry Mayer, 2005. "Trade in the Triad: how easy is the access to large markets?," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/10189, Sciences Po.
- Fontagne, Lionel & Mayer, Thierry & Zignago, Soledad, 2004. "Trade in the Triad: How Easy is the Access to Large Markets?," CEPR Discussion Papers 4442, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lionel Fontagné & Thierry Mayer & Soledad Zignago, 2004. "Trade in the Triad: How Easy is the Access to Large Markets?," Working Papers 2004-04, CEPII research center.
- Yvan Decreux & Lionel Fontagné, 2011. "Economic Impact of Potential Outcome of the DDA," Working Papers 2011-23, CEPII research center.
- Kee, Hiau Looi & Nicita, Alessandro & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2006.
"Estimating Trade Restrictiveness Indices,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5576, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hiau Looi Kee & Alessandro Nicita & Marcelo Olarreaga, 2008.
"Import Demand Elasticities and Trade Distortions,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 90(4), pages 666-682, November.
- Kee, Hiau Looi & Nicita, Alessandro & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2004. "Import Demand Elasticities and Trade Distortions," CEPR Discussion Papers 4669, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hiau Looi Kee & Nicita, Alessandro & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2004. "Import demand elasticities and trade distortions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3452, The World Bank.
- Lionel Fontagné & Cristina Mitaritonna, 2009.
"Assessing Barriers to Trade in the Distribution and Telecom Sectors in Emerging Countries,"
2009-37, CEPII research center.
- Fontagné, Lionel & Mitaritonna, Cristina, 2013. "Assessing barriers to trade in the distribution and telecom sectors in emerging countries," World Trade Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(01), pages 57-78, January.
- Lionel Fontagné & Amélie Guillin & Cristina Mitaritonna, 2011. "Estimations of Tariff Equivalents for the Services Sectors," Working Papers 2011-24, CEPII research center.
- Yvan Decreux & Hugo Valin, 2007.
"MIRAGE, Updated Version of the Model for Trade Policy Analysis: Focus on Agriculture and Dynamics,"
2007-15, CEPII research center.
- Decreux, Yvan & Valin, Hugo, 2007. "MIRAGE, Updated Version of the Model for Trade Policy Analysis: Focus on Agriculture and Dynamics," Working Papers 7284, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jong-Eun Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.