The Great Recession and the Great Depression: Reflections and Lessons
AbstractThe Great Recession that started in 2008 has drawn constant comparisons with the Great Depression that unfolded in 1929. This paper documents how the response of policy makers in the current episode has been markedly different from the one observed in the 1920s and 1930s and to what extent this different behavior has followed the lessons from the historical analysis of the Great Depression. The historical account is also used to discuss probable changes to the world’s economic landscape regarding both trade and financial globalization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Chile in its series Working Papers Central Bank of Chile with number 593.
Date of creation: Sep 2010
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Barry Eichengreen, 2011. "The Great Recession and the Great Depression: Reflections and Lessons," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Luis Felipe Céspedes & Roberto Chang & Diego Saravia (ed.), Monetary Policy under Financial Turbulence, edition 1, volume 16, chapter 3, pages 049-058 Central Bank of Chile.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2010. "The Great Recession and the Great Depression: Reflections and Lessons," Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 13(2), pages 5-10, August.
- NEP-ALL-2011-04-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2011-04-23 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HPE-2011-04-23 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eichengreen, Barry & Irwin, Douglas A., 2010.
"The Slide to Protectionism in the Great Depression: Who Succumbed and Why?,"
The Journal of Economic History,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 70(04), pages 871-897, December.
- Barry Eichengreen & Douglas A. Irwin, 2009. "The Slide to Protectionism in the Great Depression: Who Succumbed and Why?," NBER Working Papers 15142, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.