Optimal Multiunit Exchange Design with Single-Dimensionality
AbstractWe investigate allocation problems that generalize auction and bargaining, namely multiunit exchanges, where both a central planner and participants bring homogeneous commodities to sell altogether, and there exist restrictions on feasible allocations. We characterize the optimal mechanism in terms of revenue-maximization under dominant strategy incentive compatibility and ex-post individual rationality. We introduce modified virtual valuation, and show that, irrespective of the restrictions, the optimization can be replaced with the maximization of the sum of modified virtual valuations. We apply this result to an important class of allocation problems for heterogeneous items with single-item demands based on Mussa and Rosen (1978).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo in its series CARF F-Series with number CARF-F-292.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: May 2012
Date of revision: Sep 2012
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Myerson, Roger B. & Satterthwaite, Mark A., 1983.
"Efficient mechanisms for bilateral trading,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 265-281, April.
- Alex Gershkov & Jacob Goeree & Alexey Kushnir & Benny Moldovanu & Xianwen Shi, 2012.
"On the Equivalence of Bayesian and Dominant Strategy Implementation,"
tecipa-445, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Alex Gershkov & Jacob K. Goeree & Alexey Kushnir & Benny Moldovanu & Xianwen Shi, 2013. "On the Equivalence of Bayesian and Dominant Strategy Implementation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 81(1), pages 197-220, 01.
- Milgrom,Paul, 2004.
"Putting Auction Theory to Work,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521536721, November.
- Susan Athey & Glenn Ellison, 2009.
"Position Auctions with Consumer Search,"
NBER Working Papers
15253, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Monteiro, Paulo Klinger, 2002.
"Optimal auctions in a general model of identical goods,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 71-79, February.
- Monteiro, Paulo Klinger, 1999. "Optimal Auctions in a General Model of Identical Goods," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 358, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Levent Ulku, 2009.
"Optimal Combinatorial Mechanism Design,"
0903, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Hitoshi Matsushima, 2011. "Efficient Combinatorial Exchanges with Opt-Out Types," CARF F-Series CARF-F-294, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo, revised Aug 2012.
- Varian, Hal R., 2007. "Position auctions," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1163-1178, December.
- Fernando Branco, 1996. "Multiple unit auctions of an indivisible good," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 77-101.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.