Productivity with General Indices ofManagement and Technical Change
AbstractWe propose a model of production where technical change is both time and management induced. We define a general management index in addition to the general time index of Baltagi and Griffin (1988) and use them as arguments in the translog productionfunction. Time and management induced technical change are then defined interms of these general indices. For comparison, we also consider models in which time and management are specified as continuous variables. We report empirical results for a sample of manufacturing firms in the US, UK, Germany and France.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich in its series Ifo Working Paper Series with number Ifo Working Paper No. 144.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
General management index; general time index; technical change;
Other versions of this item:
- Triebs, T.P. & Kumbhakar, S.C., 2013. "Productivity with general indices of management and technical change," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 18-22.
- M11 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Production Management
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Janina Ketterer, 2012. "The Impact of Wind Power Generation on the Electricity Price in Germany," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 143, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Baltagi, Badi H & Griffin, James M, 1988. "A General Index of Technical Change," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 20-41, February.
- Gollop, Frank M & Roberts, Mark J, 1983. "Environmental Regulations and Productivity Growth: The Case of Fossil-Fueled Electric Power Generation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(4), pages 654-74, August.
- Diewert, W. E., 1976. "Exact and superlative index numbers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-145, May.
- Wolfgang Nagl, 2012. "Wage Compensations Due to Risk Aversion andSkewness Affection – German Evidence," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 145, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.