The Budgeting and Economic Consequences of Ageing in The Netherlands
AbstractThe costs of population ageing are primarily reflected in larger expenditures on pensions and health care. This paper explores the consequences of ageing for the Netherlands in a baseline scenario simulated with a dynamic general equilibrium model. We discuss the sensitivity of the results under alternative projections for population ageing. We explore also the effects of three types of social security reform: a reduction in benefits, an increase in the retirement age and smoothing of the public pension premium over time. We find that the welfare effects of ageing and the reforms are substantial.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 630.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Beetsma, Roel & Bettendorf, Leon & Broer, Peter, 2003. "The budgeting and economic consequences of ageing in the Netherlands," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 987-1013, September.
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bettendorf , L.J.H. & Broer, D.P., 2003. "The budgeting and economic consequences of ageing in the Netherlands," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-383717, Tilburg University.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jagadeesh Gokhale & Benjamin R. Page & John Sturrock, 1999. "Generational Accounts for the United States: An Update," NBER Chapters, in: Generational Accounting around the World, pages 489-518 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Miles, David, 1999.
"Modelling the Impact of Demographic Change upon the Economy,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(452), pages 1-36, January.
- Miles, David K, 1997. "Modelling the Impact of Demographic Change Upon the Economy," CEPR Discussion Papers 1762, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dave Turner & Claude Giorno & Alain de Serres & Ann Vourc'h & Pete Richardson, 1998. "The Macroeconomic Implications of Ageing in a Global Context," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 193, OECD Publishing.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Laurence J. Kotlikoff & Robert P. Hagemann & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 1989. "The Economic Dynamics of an Ageing Population: The Case of Four OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 62, OECD Publishing.
- Breyer, Friedrich & Straub, Martin, 1993.
"Welfare effects of unfunded pension systems when labor supply is endogenous,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 77-91, January.
- Breyer, Friedrich & Straub, Martin, 1991. "Welfare effects of unfunded pension systems when labor supply is endogenous," Discussion Papers, Series 1 252, University of Konstanz, Department of Economics.
- Laurence J. Kotlikoff & Willi Leibfritz, 1998.
"An International Comparison of Generational Accounts,"
NBER Working Papers
6447, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laurence J. Kotlikoff & Willi Leibfritz & Willi Leibfritz, 1999. "An International Comparison of Generational Accounts," NBER Chapters, in: Generational Accounting around the World, pages 73-102 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Broer, D.P. & Westerhout, E.W.M.T. & Bovenberg, A.L., 1994.
"Taxation, pension and saving in a small open economy,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-148754, Tilburg University.
- Broer, D Peter & Westerhout, Ed W M T & Bovenberg, A Lans, 1994. " Taxation, Pensions and Saving in a Small Open Economy," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 96(3), pages 403-24.
- repec:fth:harver:1490 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bernd Raffelhüschen, 1993. "Funding social security through Pareto-optimal conversion policies," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 105-131, December.
- David M. Cutler & James M. Poterba & Louise M. Sheiner & Lawrence H. Summers, 1990.
"An Aging Society: Opportunity or Challenge?,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 21(1), pages 1-74.
- Fehr, Hans, 1999. "Welfare Effects of Dynamic Tax Reforms," Beiträge zur Finanzwissenschaft, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, edition 1, volume 5, number urn:isbn:9783161470165.
- Habermann, Christian & Fehr, Hans, 2003.
"Pension Reform and Demographic Uncertainty : The Case of Germany,"
W.E.P. - WÃ¼rzburg Economic Papers
47, University of Würzburg, Chair for Monetary Policy and International Economics.
- Fehr, Hans & Habermann, Christian, 2006. "Pension reform and demographic uncertainty: the case of Germany," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(01), pages 69-90, March.
- Erling Holmøy, 2006. "Real appreciation as an automatic channel for redistribution of increased government non-tax revenue," Discussion Papers 471, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Ralitza Dimova & François-Charles Wolff, 2011.
"Do downward private transfers enhance maternal labor supply? Evidence from around Europe,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 911-933, July.
- Ralitza Dimova & François-Charles Wolff, 2009. "Do downward private transfers enhance maternal labor supply ? Evidence from around Europe," Working Papers hal-00418766, HAL.
- Dimova, Ralitza & Wolff, François-Charles, 2006. "Do Downward Private Transfers Enhance Maternal Labor Supply? Evidence from around Europe," IZA Discussion Papers 2469, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dennis Fredriksen & Nils Martin Stølen, 2005. "Effects of demographic development, labour supply and pension reforms on the future pension burden," Discussion Papers 418, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Nabli, Mustapha K. & Yousef, Tarik & Jensen, Henning Tarp, 2004.
"Labor market reforms, growth, and unemployment in labor-exporting countries in the Middle East and North Africa,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3328, The World Bank.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Nabli, Mustapha K. & Yousef, Tarik & Jensen, Henning Tarp, 2007. "Labor market reforms, growth, and unemployment in labor-exporting countries in the Middle East and North Africa," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 277-309.
- Fehr, Hans & Halder, Gitte & Jokisch, Sabine & Kotlikoff, Laurence J., 2003. "A simulation model for the demographic transition in the OECD: Data requirements, model structure and calibration," W.E.P. - WÃ¼rzburg Economic Papers 45, University of Würzburg, Chair for Monetary Policy and International Economics.
- Manuel Kallweit, 2009. "Rentenreform und Rentenzugangsentscheidung – Eine numerische Gleichgewichtsanalyse," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 229(4), pages 426-449, August.
- Jokisch, Sabine & Halder, Gitte & Fehr, Hans, 2004. "A Simulation Model for the Demographic Transition in Germany : Data Requirements, Model Structure and Calibration," W.E.P. - WÃ¼rzburg Economic Papers 48, University of Würzburg, Chair for Monetary Policy and International Economics.
- Holmøy, Erling & Strøm, Birger, 2013. "Computable General Equilibrium Assessments of Fiscal Sustainability in Norway," Handbook of Computable General Equilibrium Modeling, Elsevier.
- Kim Massey Heide & Erling Holmøy & Ingeborg Foldøy Solli & Birger Strøm, 2006. "A welfare state funded by nature and OPEC. A guided tour on Norway's path from an exceptionally impressive to an exceptionally strained fiscal position," Discussion Papers 464, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Erling Holmøy & Kyrre Stensnes, 2008. "Will the Norwegian pension reform reach its goals? An integrated micro-macro assessment," Discussion Papers 557, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Erling Holmøy, 2007. "Fiscal sustainability: Must the problem be diminished before we can see it?," Discussion Papers 499, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Mario Catalan & Nicolas E. Magud, 2012. "A Tradeoff between the Output and Current Account Effects of Pension Reform," IMF Working Papers 12/283, International Monetary Fund.
- François-Charles Wolff & Ralitza Dimova, 2006. "How Do Migrants Care for Their Elderly Parents? Time, Money and Location," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 142(V), pages 123-130.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.