Reciprocity, World Prices and Welfare
AbstractWe examine in detail the circumstances under which reciprocity, as defined in Bagwell and Staiger (1999), leads to fixed world prices. We show that a change of tariffs satisfying reciprocity does not necessarily imply constant world prices in a world of many goods and countries. While it is possible to find tariff reforms that are consistent with both reciprocity and constant world prices, these reforms do not follow from the reciprocity condition, but rather from the requirement of unchanged world prices. We propose an alternative reciprocity rule that is guaranteed to raise the welfare of all countries, independently of whether world prices change and independently of the relative numbers of goods and countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 3607.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
GATT; reciprocity; fixed world prices;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F02 - International Economics - - General - - - International Economic Order; Noneconomic International Organizations;; Economic Integration and Globalization: General
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Earl L. Grinols & Peri Silva, 2007.
"An enhancement of modern free trade area theory,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 59(2), pages 219-225, April.
- Grinols, Earl L. & Silva, Peri, 2003. "An Enhancement of Modern Free Trade Area Theory," Working Papers, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Business 03-0104, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Business.
- Turunen-Red, Arja H & Woodland, Alan D, 1991. "Strict Pareto-Improving Multilateral Reforms of Tariffs," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 1127-52, July.
- Paolo Epifani & Juliette Vitaloni, 2003.
"‘GATT-Think’ with Asymmetric Countries,"
KITeS Working Papers, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy
141, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Mar 2003.
- Ju, Jiandong & Krishna, Kala, 2000. "Welfare and market access effects of piecemeal tariff reform," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 305-316, August.
- Kemp, Murray C. & Wan, Henry Jr., 1976. "An elementary proposition concerning the formation of customs unions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 95-97, February.
- Pascalis Raimondos-Møller & Alan D. Woodland, 2004.
"Non-Preferential Trading Clubs,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1145, CESifo Group Munich.
- Raimondos-Møller, Pascalis & Woodland , Alan D., 2006. "Non-Preferential Trading Clubs," Working Papers, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics 06-2004, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Raimondos-Møller, Pascalis & Woodland, Alan D, 2002. "Non-Preferential Trading Clubs," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 3572, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Panagariya, Arvind & Krishna, Pravin, 2002. "On necessarily welfare-enhancing free trade areas," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 353-367, August.
- Emily Blanchard, 2006.
"Reevaluating the Role of Trade Agreements: Does Investment Globalization Make the WTO Obsolete?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1735, CESifo Group Munich.
- Blanchard, Emily J., 2010. "Reevaluating the role of trade agreements: Does investment globalization make the WTO obsolete?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 63-72, September.
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2000. "Reciprocity Across Modes of Supply in the WTO: A Negotiating Formula," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 2481, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Woodland, Alan D, 1980. "Direct and Indirect Trade Utility Functions," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(5), pages 907-26, October.
- Robert W. Staiger & Kyle Bagwell, 1999.
"An Economic Theory of GATT,"
American Economic Review, American Economic Association,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(1), pages 215-248, March.
- Kyle Bagwell & Robert W. Staiger, 1997. "An Economic Theory of GATT," NBER Working Papers 6049, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bagwell,K. & Staiger,R.W., 1998. "An economic theory of GATT," Working papers, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems 15, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- John Kennan & Raymond Riezman, 1990. "Optimal Tariff Equilibria with Customs Unions," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 23(1), pages 70-83, February.
- Diewert, W E & Turunen-Red, A H & Woodland, A D, 1989. "Productivity- and Pareto-Improving Changes in Taxes and Tariffs," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(2), pages 199-215, April.
- Kowalczyk, Carsten & Sjostrom, Tomas, 2000. "Trade as transfers, GATT and the core," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 163-169, February.
- Ralph Ossa, 2011. "A “New Trade” Theory of GATT/WTO Negotiations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 119(1), pages 122 - 152.
- Jean-Christophe Bureau & Sébastien Jean, 2013.
"Trade liberalization in the bio-economy: coping with a new landscape,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 44(s1), pages 173-182, November.
- Jean-Christophe Bureau & Sébastien Jean, 2013. "Trade Liberalization in the Bio-Economy: Coping with a New Landscape," Working Papers 2013-15, CEPII research center.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.