Strict Pareto-Improving Multilateral Reforms of Tariffs
AbstractStarting from a tariff-distorted equilibrium of international trade, the authors examine the welfare effects of a gradual multilateral reform of tariffs (and other trade taxes and subsidies). Necessary and sufficient conditions for the existence of strict Pareto improving multilateral (differential) tariff reforms, accompanied by international transfers of income, are obtained. These results are then applied to various concrete tariff reform proposals such as proportional reductions in tariffs and the reduction of the highest ad valorem tariff rates. Some of the authors' theorems extend the generality of previously obtained results and some new tariff reform proposals are also made. Copyright 1991 by The Econometric Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econometric Society in its journal Econometrica.
Volume (Year): 59 (1991)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Luis San Vicente Portes, 2005. "On the Distributional Effects of Trade Policy: A Macroeconomic Perspective," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 358, Society for Computational Economics.
- Kwan Koo Yun, 2004. "Efficient Pareto-improving Processes," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 784, Econometric Society.
- Neary, J. P., 1997.
"Pitfalls in the Theory of International Trade Policy: Concertina Reforms of Tariffs, and Subsidies to High-Technology Industries,"
97/26, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Neary, J Peter, 1998. " Pitfalls in the Theory of International Trade Policy: Concertina Reforms of Tariffs, and Subsidies to High-Technology Industries," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 100(1), pages 187-206, March.
- J. P. Neary, 1997. "Pitfalls in the theory of international trade policy: concertina reforms of tariffs and subsidies to high technology industries," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20341, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Neary, J Peter, 1997. "Pitfalls in the Theory of International Trade Policy: Concertina Reforms of Tariffs and Subsidies to HIgh-Technology Industries," CEPR Discussion Papers 1740, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- J.P. Neary, 1997. "Pitfalls in the Theory of International Trade Policy: Concertina Reforms of Tariffs and Subsidies to High Technology Industries," CEP Discussion Papers dp0346, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Raimondos-Møller, Pascalis & Woodland , Alan D., 2006.
"Non-Preferential Trading Clubs,"
06-2004, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Pascalis Raimondos-Møller & Alan D. Woodland, 2006.
"Steepest Ascent Tariff Reforms,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1760, CESifo Group Munich.
- Raimondos-Møller, Pascalis & Woodland, Alan D, 2006. "Steepest Ascent Tariff Reforms," CEPR Discussion Papers 5782, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Woodland, Alan D. & Raimondos-Møller, Pascalis, 2006. "Steepest Ascent Tariff Reforms," Working Papers 04-2006, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Lahiri, Sajal & Raimondos-Moller, Pascalis & Wong, Kar-yiu & Woodland, Alan D., 2002. "Optimal foreign aid and tariffs," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 79-99, February.
- Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Chavas, Jean-Paul & Cox, Thomas L. & Requillart, Vincent, 2001. "Interregional Analysis Of The Impacts Of Eliminating European Union Milk Production Quotas," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20677, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Pascalis Raimondos-Møller & Alan D. Woodland, 2011. "Reciprocity, World Prices and Welfare," CESifo Working Paper Series 3607, CESifo Group Munich.
- Yun, Kwan Koo, 1995. "The Dubovickii-Miljutin Lemma and characterizations of optimal allocations in non-smooth economies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 435-460.
- Kotsogiannis, Christos & Woodland, Alan, 2013. "Climate and international trade policies when emissions affect production possibilities," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 166-184.
- Jeremy Edwards & Ronnie Schöb, 2002. "Distortionary Domestic Taxation and Pareto-Efficient International Trade," CESifo Working Paper Series 635, CESifo Group Munich.
- Frank Milne & Edwin Neave, 2003. "A General Equilibrium Financial Asset Economy with Transaction Costs and Trading Constraints," Working Papers 1082, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Yun, Kwan Koo, 2010. "Efficient, Pareto-improving processes," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 326-331, May.
- Turunen-Red, Arja H. & Woodland, Alan D., 2000. "Multilateral policy reforms and quantity restrictions on trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 153-168, October.
- Hans Gersbach & Hans Haller, 2007. "Hierarchical Trade and Endogenous Price Distortions," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 07/72, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.