Search Costs and Corporate Income Tax Competition
AbstractThis paper studies corporate tax competition if it is costly to learn some of the elements that determine the effective tax burden. Search cost may, but need not, eliminate the tax competition pressure. The outcome depends on the boundaries of tax rate and tax base choices. Search cost can explain the empirically observed tax cuts cum base broadening.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 3224.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
costly search; tax competition; corporate taxation; monopoly pricing paradox;
Other versions of this item:
- Kai A. Konrad, 2011. "Search costs and corporate income tax competition," Working Papers 1103, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Konrad, Kai A., 2010. "Search costs and corporate income tax competition," Discussion Papers, Research Professorship & Project "The Future of Fiscal Federalism" SP II 2010-11, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- H70 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - General
- H87 - Public Economics - - Miscellaneous Issues - - - International Fiscal Issues; International Public Goods
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Devereux, Michael P. & Lockwood, Ben & Redoano, Michela, 2008.
"Do countries compete over corporate tax rates?,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 92(5-6), pages 1210-1235, June.
- Devereux, Michael P & Lockwood, Ben & Redoano, Michela, 2002. "Do Countries Compete over Corporate Tax Rates?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3400, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Devereux, Michael P & Lockwood, Ben & Redoano, Michela, 2002. "Do Countries Compete Over Corporate Tax Rates?," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 642, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Clemens Fuest & Bernd Huber & Jack Mintz, 2003. "Capital Mobility and Tax Competition: A Survey," CESifo Working Paper Series 956, CESifo Group Munich.
- Harrington, Joseph Jr. & Leahey, Megan F., 2007. "Equilibrium pricing in a (partial) search market: The shopbot paradox," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 94(1), pages 111-117, January.
- Michael P. Devereux & Rachel Griffith & Alexander Klemm, 2002. "Corporate income tax reforms and international tax competition," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 17(35), pages 449-495, October.
- Ruud A. De Mooij & Gaëtan J.A. Nicodème, 2008. "How Corporate Tax Competition Reduces Personal Tax Revenue," CESifo DICE Report, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 6(1), pages 27-31, 04.
- Joseph E. Harrington, Jr., 2001. "Comment on "Reducing Buyer Search Costs: Implications for Electronic Marketplaces"," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(12), pages 1727-1732, December.
- Diamond, Peter A., 1971. "A model of price adjustment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 156-168, June.
- Maria Arbatskaya, 2007. "Ordered search," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 38(1), pages 119-126, 03.
- Michael R. Baye & John Morgan, 2001. "Information Gatekeepers on the Internet and the Competitiveness of Homogeneous Product Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(3), pages 454-474, June.
- Fuest, Clemens & Huber, Bernd & Mintz, Jack, 2005.
"Capital Mobility and Tax Competition,"
Foundations and Trends(R) in Microeconomics,
now publishers, vol. 1(1), pages 1-62, December.
- Burdett, Kenneth & Judd, Kenneth L, 1983. "Equilibrium Price Dispersion," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 955-69, July.
- McAfee R. Preston, 1995. "Multiproduct Equilibrium Price Dispersion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 83-105, October.
- Keisuke Kawata, 2013. "Capital market integration and optimal employment protection policies," IDEC DP2 Series 3-9, Hiroshima University, Graduate School for International Development and Cooperation (IDEC).
- Johannes Becker & Marco Runkel, 2010.
"Even Small Trade Costs Restore Efficiency in Tax Competition,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3221, CESifo Group Munich.
- Becker, Johannes & Runkel, Marco, 2012. "Even small trade costs restore efficiency in tax competition," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 191-195.
- Johannes Becker & Marco Runkel, 2010. "Even Small Trade Costs Restore Efficiency in Tax Competition," FEMM Working Papers 100023, Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg, Faculty of Economics and Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.