Stock Market Integration between three CEECs, Russia and the UK
AbstractThis paper estimates a tri-variate VAR-GARCH(1,1)-in-mean model to examine linkages between the stock markets of three Central and Eastern European countries (CEECs), specifically the Czech Republic, Hungary, and Poland, and both the UK and Russia. The adopted framework allows to analyse interdependence by estimating volatility spillovers, and also contagion by testing for possible shifts in the transmission of volatility following the introduction of the euro and EU accession. Further evidence on possible changes in the transmission mechanism (namely, on whether there is contagion) can be obtained by examining the conditional correlations implied by the estimated model over different time periods. The empirical findings suggest that there is significant co-movement (interdependence) of these CEEC markets with both the Russian and the UK ones. Furthermore, whilst the introduction of the euro has had mixed effects, EU accession has resulted in an increase in volatility spillovers between the three CEECs considered and the UK (contagion).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 2978.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Central and Eastern European countries (CEECs); volatility spillovers; interdependence; contagion; VAR-GARCH-in-mean model;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christian Jochum & Gebhard Kirchgässner & Mariusz Platek, 1999. "A long-run relationship between Eastern European stock markets? Cointegration and the 1997/98 crisis in emerging markets," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(3), pages 454-479, September.
- Scheicher, Martin, 2001. "The Comovements of Stock Markets in Hungary, Poland and the Czech Republic," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(1), pages 27-39, January.
- Ng, Angela, 2000. "Volatility spillover effects from Japan and the US to the Pacific-Basin," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 207-233, April.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey & Angela Ng, 2005.
"Market Integration and Contagion,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(1), pages 39-70, January.
- R. Gaston Gelos & Ratna Sahay, 2001.
"Financial market spillovers in transition economies,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 9(1), pages 53-86, March.
- Ratna Sahay & Gaston Gelos, 2000. "Financial Market Spillovers in Transition Economies," IMF Working Papers 00/71, International Monetary Fund.
- Janakiramanan, Sundaram & Lamba, Asjeet S., 1998. "An empirical examination of linkages between Pacific-Basin stock markets," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 155-173, June.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Syriopoulos, Theodore, 2007. "Dynamic linkages between emerging European and developed stock markets: Has the EMU any impact?," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 41-60.
- Christos Savva & Nektarios Aslanidis, 2010.
"Stock market integration between new EU member states and the Euro-zone,"
Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 337-351, October.
- Aslanidis, Nektarios & Savva, Christos S., 2008. "Stock market integration between new EU member states and the Euro-zone," Working Papers 2072/13263, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Chelley-Steeley, Patricia L., 2005. "Modeling equity market integration using smooth transition analysis: A study of Eastern European stock markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 818-831, September.
- Bohl, Martin T. & Gottschalk, Katrin & Pál, Rozália, 2006. "Institutional investors and stock market efficiency: The case of the January anomaly," MPRA Paper 677, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2006.
- Felices, Guillermo & Grisse, Christian & Yang, Jing, 2009. "International financial transmission: emerging and mature markets," Bank of England working papers 373, Bank of England.
- Engle, Robert F & Susmel, Raul, 1993. "Common Volatility in International Equity Markets," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(2), pages 167-76, April.
- Hamao, Yasushi & Masulis, Ronald W & Ng, Victor, 1990. "Correlations in Price Changes and Volatility across International Stock Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(2), pages 281-307.
- Roberto Rigobon, 2003. "Identification Through Heteroskedasticity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 777-792, November.
- Longin, Francois & Solnik, Bruno, 1995. "Is the correlation in international equity returns constant: 1960-1990?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-26, February.
- Egert, Balazs & Kocenda, Evzen, 2007. "Interdependence between Eastern and Western European stock markets: Evidence from intraday data," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 184-203, June.
- Cappiello, Lorenzo & Gérard, Bruno & Kadareja, Arjan & Manganelli, Simone, 2006. "Financial integration of new EU Member States," Working Paper Series 0683, European Central Bank.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Cipollini, Andrea & Spagnolo, Nicola, 2005. "Testing for contagion: a conditional correlation analysis," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 476-489, June.
- Bohl, Martin T. & Gottschalk, Katrin & Henke, Harald & Pál, Rozália, 2006. "Institutional investors and stock market efficiency: The case of the January anomaly," Working Paper Series 2006,6, European University Viadrina Frankfurt (Oder), The Postgraduate Research Programme Capital Markets and Finance in the Enlarged Europe.
- Kasa, Kenneth, 1992. "Common stochastic trends in international stock markets," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 95-124, February.
- Jan Hanousek & Evzen Kocenda, 2009. "Intraday Price Discovery in Emerging European Stock Markets," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp382, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Jan Hanousek & Evzen Kocenda & Ali M. Kutan, 2008.
"The Reaction of Asset Prices to Macroeconomic Announcements in New EU Markets: Evidence from Intraday Data,"
CERGE-EI Working Papers
wp349, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Hanousek, Jan & Kocenda, Evzen & Kutan, Ali M., 2009. "The reaction of asset prices to macroeconomic announcements in new EU markets: Evidence from intraday data," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 199-219, June.
- Serwa, Dobromil & Bohl, Martin T., 2005. "Financial contagion vulnerability and resistance: A comparison of European stock markets," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 344-362, September.
- Gilmore, Claire G. & Lucey, Brian M. & McManus, Ginette M., 2008. "The dynamics of Central European equity market comovements," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 605-622, August.
- Francis, Bill B. & Leachman, Lori L., 1998. "Superexogeneity and the dynamic linkages among international equity markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 475-492, June.
- Richards, Anthony J., 1995. "Comovements in national stock market returns: Evidence of predictability, but not cointegration," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 631-654, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.