Environmental Regulation And Industry Employment: A Reassessment
AbstractThis paper examines the impact of environmental regulation on industry employment, using a structural model based on data from the Census Bureau’s Pollution Abatement Costs and Expenditures Survey. This model was developed in an earlier paper (Morgenstern, Pizer, and Shih (2002) - MPS). We extend MPS by examining additional industries and additional years. We find widely varying estimates across industries, including many implausibly large positive employment effects. We explore several possible explanations for these results, without reaching a satisfactory conclusion. Our results call into question the frequent use of the average impacts estimated by MPS as a basis for calculating the quantitative impacts of new environmental regulations on employment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau in its series Working Papers with number 13-36.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2013
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-08-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2013-08-16 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2013-08-16 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2013-08-16 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-REG-2013-08-16 (Regulation)
- NEP-RES-2013-08-16 (Resource Economics)
- NEP-SPO-2013-08-16 (Sports & Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rema Hanna, 2010. "US Environmental Regulation and FDI: Evidence from a Panel of US-Based Multinational Firms," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 2(3), pages 158-89, July.
- Wolfgang Keller & Arik Levinson, 2002. "Pollution Abatement Costs and Foreign Direct Investment Inflows to U.S. States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(4), pages 691-703, November.
- Michael Greenstone & John A. List & Chad Syverson, 2012.
"The Effects of Environmental Regulation on the Competitiveness of U.S. Manufacturing,"
NBER Working Papers
18392, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Greenstone & John A. List & Chad Syverson, 2011. "The Effects of Environmental Regulation on the Competiveness of U.S. Manufacturing," Working Papers 11-03, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Pizer, William & Morgenstern, Richard & Shih, Jhih-Shyang, 1998.
"The Cost of Environmental Protection,"
dp-98-36, Resources For the Future.
- Randy A. Becker & Ronald J. Shadbegian, 2007.
"Issues and Challenges in Measuring Environmental Expenditures by U.S. Manufacturing: The Redevelopment of the PACE Survey,"
NCEE Working Paper Series
200708, National Center for Environmental Economics, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, revised Jul 2007.
- Ronald Shadbegian & Randy Becker, 2007. "Issues and Challenges in Measuring Environmental Expenditures by U.S. Manufacturing: The Redevelopment of the PACE Survey," Working Papers 07-20, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Randy A. Becker & Ronald J. Shadbegian, 2004.
"A Change of PACE: Comparing the 1994 and 1999 Pollution Abatement Costs and Expenditures Surveys,"
NCEE Working Paper Series
200408, National Center for Environmental Economics, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, revised Jul 2004.
- Ronald Shadbegian & Randy Becker, 2004. "A Change of PACE: Comparing the 1994 and 1999 Pollution Abatement Costs and Expenditures Surveys," Working Papers 04-09, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Eli Berman & Linda T.M. Bui, 1998.
"Environmental Regulation and Productivity: Evidence from Oil Refineries,"
NBER Working Papers
6776, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eli Berman & Linda T. M. Bui, 2001. "Environmental Regulation And Productivity: Evidence From Oil Refineries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(3), pages 498-510, August.
- Eli Berman & Linda T.M. Bui, 1998. "Environmental Regulation and Productivity: Evidence from Oil Refineries," Papers 0091, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1998. "Job Creation and Destruction," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262540932, December.
- Ron S Jarmin & Javier Miranda, 2002. "The Longitudinal Business Database," Working Papers 02-17, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fariha Kamal).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.