Designing Efficient Policies in a Regional Economy. A MCDM-CGE Approach
AbstractSince policy makers usually pursue several conflicting objectives, policy making can be understood as a multicriteria decision problem. Following the methodological proposal in André and Cardenete (2005), we use multiobjective programming in connection with a computable general equilibrium model to represent optimal policy making and to get so-called efficient policies in an application to a regional economy (Andalusia, Spain). We illustrate the solution of two bicriteria problems (unemployment vs. inflation and growth vs. unemployment) from which we get a new reading of two classical results: the Phillips curve and the Okun law. Finally, we enlarge the scope of the exercise by solving a problem with five objectives and discuss the efficient solutions that can be obtained in this context.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centro de Estudios Andaluces in its series Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces with number E2006/03.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Public Policy; Multicriteria Decision Making; Computable General Equilibrium Model; Efficient Policy.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- C68 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computable General Equilibrium Models
- D78 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Positive Analysis of Policy Formulation and Implementation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-02-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2006-02-19 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-GEO-2006-02-19 (Economic Geography)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Francisco J. André & M. Alejandro Cardenete, 2009. "Efficient Economic and Environmental Policies Combining Multicriteria Techniques and General Equilibrium Modelling," Working Papers 09.08, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Teresa Rodríguez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.