Common Factors in Conditional Distributions
AbstractDominant properties of various kinds can be defined for distributions including trends, strong seasonality, business cycles, and a persistent component. We say that in the joint distribution of X and Y, conditional on W has a common factor if W is a dominant component, but it does not appear in the copula, only in the conditional marginal distributions for X and Y. An application is discussed involving national income and consumption and a business cycle indicator. The results suggest that the marginals vary with the business cycle but not the copula.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, UC San Diego in its series University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series with number qt3bd1n1x5.
Date of creation: 01 Nov 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093-0508
Phone: (858) 534-3383
Fax: (858) 534-7040
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/ucsdecon/
More information through EDIRC
common factors; seasonality; business cycles;
Other versions of this item:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Issler, Joao Victor & Vahid, Farshid, 2001. "Common cycles and the importance of transitory shocks to macroeconomic aggregates," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 449-475, June.
- Hansen, B.E., 1992.
"Autoregressive Conditional Density Estimation,"
RCER Working Papers
322, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Patton, Andrew J, 2001. "Estimation of Copula Models for Time Series of Possibly Different Length," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt3fc1c8hw, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Patton, Andrew J, 2001. "Modelling Time-Varying Exchange Rate Dependence Using the Conditional Copula," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt01q7j1s2, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Xiaohong Chen & Yanqin Fan, 2002. "Estimation of Copula-Based Semiparametric Time Series Models," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0226, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics, revised Oct 2004.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Fan, Yanqin & Tsyrennikov, Viktor, 2006.
"Efficient Estimation of Semiparametric Multivariate Copula Models,"
Journal of the American Statistical Association,
American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 1228-1240, September.
- Xiaohong Chen & Yanqin Fan & Victor Tsyrennifov, 2004. "Efficient Estimation of Semiparametric Multivariate Copula Models," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0420, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Manner, Hans, 2007. "Estimation and Model Selection of Copulas with an Application to Exchange Rates," Research Memoranda 056, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Jesus Gonzalo & Jose Olmo, 2005.
"Contagion Versus Flight To Quality In Financial Markets,"
Economics Working Papers
we051810, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Gonzalo, Jesús & Olmo, José, . "Contagion versus flight to quality in financial markets," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/339, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Manner, Hans & Candelon, Bertrand, 2007.
"Testing for Asset Market Linkages: A new Approach based on Time-Varying Copulas,"
052, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Hans Manner & Bertrand Candelon, 2010. "Testing For Asset Market Linkages: A New Approach Based On Time-Varying Copulas," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(3), pages 364-384, 08.
- Yanqin Fan & Xiaohong Chen, 2004. "Estimation of Copula-Based Semiparametric Time Series Models," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 559, Econometric Society.
- Xiaohong Chen & Yanqin Fan, 2004. "Estimation and Model Selection of Semiparametric Copula-Based Multivariate Dynamic Models under Copula Misspecification," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0419, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics, revised Sep 2004.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.