The Dynamics of Reform of Indiaâ€™s Federal System
AbstractThis paper analyzes the process of reform of Indiaâ€™s federal system, with a focus on fiscal federalism. We first summarize the basic features of, and recent reforms in intergovernmental relations, including the role of political institutions, assignments of expenditure responsibility and revenue authority, the system of intergovernmental transfers, and institutions and mechanisms for government borrowing. We then discuss the institutional specifics of the reform process, to understand the dynamics of Indiaâ€™s federal system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz in its series Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series with number qt9gh5p65t.
Date of creation: 01 Mar 2007
Date of revision:
federalism; decentralization; intergovernmental relations; economic reform;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yingyi Qian & Gerard Roland, .
"Federalism and the Soft Budget Constraint,"
97045, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Singh, Nirvikar & Srinivasan, T.N., 2006.
"Federalism and economic development in India:An assessment,"
1273, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Singh, Nirvikar & Srinivasan, T.N., 2006. "Federalism and economic development in India: An assessment," MPRA Paper 12452, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Aug 2008.
- Singh, Nirvikar & SRINIVASAN, T N, 2006. "Federalism and Economic Development in India: An Assessment," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt2qs4h3t9, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Singh, Nirvikar, 2006.
"Services-led industrialization in India: Assessment and lessons,"
1276, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Singh, Nirvikar, 2006. "Services-Led Industrialization in India: Assessment and Lessons," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt8jn2b8z6, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Arvind Subramanian & Raghuram Rajan & Ioannis Tokatlidis & Kalpana Kochhar & Utsav Kumar, 2006.
"India's Pattern of Development: What Happened, What Follows?,"
IMF Working Papers
06/22, International Monetary Fund.
- Kochhar, Kalpana & Kumar, Utsav & Rajan, Raghuram & Subramanian, Arvind & Tokatlidis, Ioannis, 2006. "India's pattern of development: What happened, what follows?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(5), pages 981-1019, July.
- Kalpana Kochhar & Utsav Kumar & Raghuram Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2006. "India's Patterns of Development: What Happened, What Follows," NBER Working Papers 12023, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- M.Govinda Rao & R.Kavita Rao, 2005.
"Trends and Issues in Tax Policy and Reform in India,"
- M. Govinda Rao & R. Kavita Rao, 2005. "Trends and Issues in Tax Policy and Reform in India," India Policy Forum, Global Economy and Development Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 2(1), pages 55-122.
- M. Govinda Rao & Rao, R. Kavita, 2005. "Trends and issues in tax policy and reform in India," Working Papers tru1, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Jin, Hehui & Qian, Yingyi & Weingast, Barry R., 2005. "Regional decentralization and fiscal incentives: Federalism, Chinese style," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(9-10), pages 1719-1742, September.
- M. Govinda Rao & Pinaki Chakraborty, 2006. "Multilateral adjustment lending to states in India: Hastening fiscal correction or softening the budget constraint?," Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 335-357.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.