Entry and the accumulation of capital: a two state-variable extension to the Ramsey model
AbstractIn this paper we consider the entry and exit of firms in a dynamic general equilibrium model with capital. At the firm level, there is a fixed cost combined with increasing marginal cost, which gives a standard U-shaped cost curve with optimal firm size. Entry is determined by a free entry condition such that the costs of entry are equal to the present value of incumbent firms, the cost of entry (exit) depends on the flow of entry (exit). Then equilibrium is saddle-point stable and the stable manifold is two-dimensional. Transitional dynamics can, under certain circumstances, be non-monotonic.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section in its series Cardiff Economics Working Papers with number E2007/16.
Length: 60 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2007
Date of revision: Oct 2007
Publication status: Published in International Journal of Economic Theory, , 5, 333-357
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Aberconway Building, Colum Drive, CARDIFF, CF10 3EU
Phone: +44 (0) 29 20874417
Fax: +44 (0) 29 20874419
Web page: http://business.cardiff.ac.uk/research/academic-sections/economics/working-papers
More information through EDIRC
Entry; dynamics; Ramsey;
Other versions of this item:
- Paulo Brito & Huw Dixon, 2009. "Entry and the accumulation of capital: A two state variable extension to the Ramsey model," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 5(4), pages 333-357.
- D92 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - Intertemporal Firm Choice, Investment, Capacity, and Financing
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-06-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2007-06-23 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2007-06-23 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-DGE-2007-06-23 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-ENT-2007-06-23 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-MAC-2007-06-23 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MIC-2007-06-23 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-TID-2007-06-23 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pedro Gil, 2013.
"Animal spirits and the composition of innovation in a lab-equipment R&D model with transition,"
Journal of Economics, Springer,
Springer, vol. 108(1), pages 1-33, January.
- Pedro Mazeda Gil, 2010. "Animal Spirits and the Composition of Innovation in a Lab-Equipment R&D Model with Transition," DEGIT Conference Papers, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade c015_040, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Pedro Rui Mazeda Gil & Paulo Brito & Óscar Afonso, 2008. "A Model of Quality Ladders with Horizontal Entry," FEP Working Papers, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto 296, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Brito, Paulo B. & Costa, Luís F. & Dixon, Huw, 2013.
"Non-smooth dynamics and multiple equilibria in a Cournot–Ramsey model with endogenous markups,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 2287-2306.
- Paulo Brito & Luís Costa & Huw Dixon, 2010. "Non-Smooth Dynamics and Multiple Equilibria in a Cournt-Ramsey Model with Endogenous Markups," Working Papers Department of Economics, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon 2010/14, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Brito, Paulo & Costa, Luís F. & Dixon, Huw David, 2008. "Non-smooth Dynamics and Multiple Equilibria in a Cournot-Ramsey Model with Endogenous Markups," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2008/21, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section, revised Jul 2010.
- Brito, Paulo & Dixon, Huw David, 2012.
"Fiscal policy, entry and capital accumulation: hump-shaped responses,"
Cardiff Economics Working Papers
E2012/7, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Brito, Paulo & Dixon, Huw, 2013. "Fiscal policy, entry and capital accumulation: Hump-shaped responses," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 2123-2155.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruce Webb).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.