Estimating the Impact of Whaling on Global Whale Watching
AbstractAfter a commercial whaling moratorium was enacted in 1986, whale watching became one of the fastest growing tourism industries worldwide. As whaling is regarded as an activity that is incompatible with whale watching, the possible resumption of commercial whaling has caused an urgent need to investigate the potential negative effects of whaling on the whale-watching industry. We examine the potential impacts of whaling on the global whale-watching tourism industry using an unbalanced panel data model. The empirical results indicate that the resumption of commercial whaling has the potential for a negative effect on the global whale-watching industry, especially for nations that are engaged in whaling.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance in its series Working Papers in Economics with number 10/30.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: 24 May 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Private Bag 4800, Christchurch, New Zealand
Phone: 64 3 369 3123 (Administrator)
Fax: 64 3 364 2635
Web page: http://www.econ.canterbury.ac.nz
More information through EDIRC
Global whale watching; Commercial whaling; Delay-difference equation model; Unbalanced panel data model;
Other versions of this item:
- Hsiao-I Kuo & Chi-Chung Chen & Michael McAleer, 2010. "Estimating the Impact of Whaling on Global Whale Watching," KIER Working Papers 728, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Hsiao-I Kuo & Chi-Chung Chen & Michael McAleer, 2009. "Estimating the Impact of Whaling on Global Whale Watching," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-634, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Hsiao-I Kuo & Chi-Chung Chen & Michael McAleer, 2011. "Estimating the Impact of Whaling on Global Whale Watching," Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico 2011-23, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- Kuo, H-I. & Chen, C-C. & McAleer, M.J., 2009. "Estimating the impact of whaling on global whale watching," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2009-23, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Q22 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Fishery
- Q26 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Recreational Aspects of Natural Resources
- Q57 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Ecological Economics
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-05-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2010-05-29 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-TUR-2010-05-29 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Horan & James Shortle, 1999. "Optimal Management of Multiple Renewable Resource Stocks: An Application to Minke Whales," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 13(4), pages 435-458, June.
- Hsiao,Cheng, 2003.
"Analysis of Panel Data,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521818551, December.
- Conrad, Jon M, 1989. "Bioeconomics and the Bowhead Whale," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 974-87, August.
- Bjørndal, Trond & Conrad, Jon M, 1998. "A report on the Norwegian minke whale hunt," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 161-174, March.
- Herrera, Guillermo E. & Hoagland, Porter, 2006. "Commercial whaling, tourism, and boycotts: An economic perspective," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 261-269, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Albert Yee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.