The Formulation of Monetary Policy in EMU
AbstractA key decision facing the newly formed European Central Bank will be the specification of a monetary policy strategy for the euro area. This article considers how monetary policy may be conducted within EMU, focusing on the main strategies under consideration. The agreed instruments and procedures that will be at the disposal of the ESCB are examined, where the various stages of monetary policy formulation through to the final target of price stability are outlined.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Ireland in its series Research Technical Papers with number 2/RT/98.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: Jun 1998
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Clarida & Mark Gertler, 1996.
"How the Bundesbank Conducts Monetary Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
5581, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, Ben S. & Mihov, Ilian, 1997.
"What does the Bundesbank target?,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 1025-1053, June.
- Browne, F.X. & Fagan, G. & Henry, J., 1997.
"Money Demand in EU Countries : A Survey,"
7, European Monetary Institute.
- Boskin, Michael J, et al, 1997. "The CPI Commission: Findings and Recommendations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 78-83, May.
- Paul Louis Ceriel Hilbers & Arto Kovanen & Charles Enoch, 1997. "Some Issues in the Design of Monetary Instruments for the Operation of European Economic and Monetary Union," IMF Working Papers 97/178, International Monetary Fund.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Favero, Carlo A & Giavazzi, Francesco, 1998. "A Red Letter Day?," CEPR Discussion Papers 1804, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Escriva, J.L. & Fagan, F.P., 1996. "Empirical assessment of Monetary Policy Instruments and Procedures (MPIP) in EU Countries," Papers 2, European Monetary Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (James Kavanagh).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.