The Impact of Transmission Pricing in Network Industries
AbstractThe allocation of scarce transmission resources has a considerable impact on investment incentives in network industries. We study the long term effects of two common network management regimes on investment in production and transmission facilities. In one case transmission constraints are directly taken into account through locationally differentiated market prices (simultaneous market clearing). In the other case, a uniform market price is implemented and transmission constraints are resolved in a subsequent congestion market (sequential market clearing). While simultaneous market clearing produces the efficient outcome, sequential market clearing leads to overinvestment in generation and transmission capacity, as we show. These findings contribute to the debate on electricity transmission pricing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge in its series Cambridge Working Papers in Economics with number 1230.
Date of creation: 07 Jun 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/index.htm
Transmission Investment; Generation Investment; Market Design; Locational Marginal Pricing; Redispatch; Fluctuating Demand; Scarcity Rents;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L94 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Electric Utilities
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- D41 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Perfect Competition
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reynolds, Stanley S. & Wilson, Bart J., 2000. "Bertrand-Edgeworth Competition, Demand Uncertainty, and Asymmetric Outcomes," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 122-141, May.
- Karsten Neuhoff & Benjamin F. Hobbs & David Newbery, 2011. "Congestion Management in European Power Networks: Criteria to Assess the Available Options," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1161, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Gabszewicz, J.J. & Poddar, S., .
"Demand fluctuations and capacity utilization under duopoly,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1269, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jean J. Gabszewicz & Sougata Poddar, 1997. "Demand fluctuations and capacity utilization under duopoly," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 131-146.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & PODDAR , Sougata, 1995. "Demand Fluctuations and Capacity Utilization under Duopoly," CORE Discussion Papers 1995051, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- de Frutos, María-Ángeles & Fabra, Natalia, 2011.
"Endogenous capacities and price competition: The role of demand uncertainty,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 399-411, July.
- de Frutos, Maria-Angeles & Fabra, Natalia, 2007. "Endogenous Capacities and Price Competition: The Role of Demand Uncertainty," CEPR Discussion Papers 6096, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anette Boom, 2007.
"Vertically Integrated Firms' Investments in Electricity Generating Capacities,"
CIE Discussion Papers
2007-14, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Boom, Anette, 2009. "Vertically integrated firms' investments in electricity generating capacities," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 544-551, July.
- Vincent Rious & Jean-Michel Glachant & Philippe Dessante, 2010. "Transmission Network Investment as an Anticipation Problem," RSCAS Working Papers 2010/04, European University Institute.
- Bushnell, James & Stoft, Steven, 1997.
"Improving Private Incentives for Electric Grid Investment,"
Staff General Research Papers
31549, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bushnell, James B. & Stoft, Steven E., 1997. "Improving private incentives for electric grid investment," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 85-108, March.
- Sauma, Enzo E. & Oren, Shmuel S., 2009. "Do generation firms in restructured electricity markets have incentives to support social-welfare-improving transmission investments?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 676-689, September.
- Natalia Fabra & Nils‐Henrik M von der Fehr & María‐Ángeles de Frutos, 2011. "Market Design and Investment Incentives," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 121(557), pages 1340-1360, December.
- Schaber, Katrin & Steinke, Florian & Hamacher, Thomas, 2012. "Transmission grid extensions for the integration of variable renewable energies in Europe: Who benefits where?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 123-135.
- Léautier, Thomas-Olivier, 2014. "Transmission constraints and strategic underinvestment in electric power generation," TSE Working Papers 13-459, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Léautier, Thomas-Olivier, 2013. "Fred Schweppe meets Marcel Boiteux and Antoine-Augustin Cournot: transmission constraints and strategic underinvestment in electric power generation," IDEI Working Papers 796, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Léautier, Thomas-Olivier, 2013. "Fred Schweppe meets Marcel Boiteux and Antoine-Augustin Cournot: transmission constraints and strategic underinvestment in electric power generation," TSE Working Papers 13-432, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Léautier, Thomas-Olivier, 2014. "Transmission constraints and strategic underinvestment in electric power generation," IDEI Working Papers 816, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.