Entropy and the value of information for investors
AbstractConsider any investor who fears ruin facing any set of investments that satisfy no-arbitrage. Before investing, he can purchase information about the state of nature in the form of an information structure. Given his prior, information structure is more informative than information structure if whenever he rejects at some price, he also rejects at that price. We show that this complete informativeness ordering is represented by the decrease in entropy of his beliefs, regardless of his preferences, initial wealth or investment problem. It is also shown that no prior-independent informativeness ordering based on similar premises exists.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Brown University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2010-17.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Brown University, Providence, RI 02912
informativeness; information structures; entropy; decision under uncertainty; investment; Blackwell ordering.;
Other versions of this item:
- Antonio Cabrales & Olivier Gossner & Roberto Serrano, 2013. "Entropy and the Value of Information for Investors," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 103(1), pages 360-77, February.
- Antonio Cabrales & Olivier Gossner & Roberto Serrano, 2011. "Entropy and the value of information for investors," PSE Working Papers halshs-00648884, HAL.
- Antonio Cabrales & Olivier Gossner & Roberto Serrano, 2010. "Entropy and the value of information for investors," Levine's Working Paper Archive 661465000000000355, David K. Levine.
- Antonio Cabrales & Olivier Gossner & Roberto Serrano, 2010. "Entropy and the value of information for investors," Working Papers 2010-23, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Antonio Cabrales & Olivier Gossner & Roberto Serrano, 2011. "Entropy and the value of information for investors," Economics Working Papers we1104, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- C00 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - General
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- D00 - Microeconomics - - General - - - General
- D80 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - General
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- G00 - Financial Economics - - General - - - General
- G - Financial Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-12-18 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680.
- Olivier Gossner & Penelope Hernandez & Abraham Neyman, 2004.
"Optimal Use of Communication Resources,"
Discussion Paper Series
dp377, The Center for the Study of Rationality, Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Dean Foster & Sergiu Hart, 2007.
"An Operational Measure of Riskiness,"
843644000000000095, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Sergiu Hart, 2011.
"Comparing Risks by Acceptance and Rejection,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 119(4), pages 617 - 638.
- Thierry Post & Martijn J. van den Assem & Guido Baltussen & Richard H. Thaler, 2008. "Deal or No Deal? Decision Making under Risk in a Large-Payoff Game Show," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(1), pages 38-71, March.
- Blume, Lawrence & Easley, David, 1992. "Evolution and market behavior," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 9-40, October.
- Azrieli, Yaron & Lehrer, Ehud, 2008.
"The value of a stochastic information structure,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 679-693, July.
- Olivier Gossner, 2011. "Simple Bounds on the Value of a Reputation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 79(5), pages 1627-1641, 09.
- Jonathan Levin & Susan Athey, 2001.
"The Value of Information in Monotone Decision Problems,"
01003, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Susan Athey & Jonathan Levin, 1998. "The Value of Information In Monotone Decision Problems," Working papers 98-24, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Kyungmin Kim & Benjamin Lester & Braz Camargo, 2012.
"Subsidizing Price Discovery,"
2012 Meeting Papers
338, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Camargo, Braz & Pastorino, Elena, 2012.
"Career concerns: A human capital perspective,"
Textos para discussÃ£o
288, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Antonio Cabrales & Olivier Gossner & Roberto Serrano, 2012.
"The Appeal of Information Transactions,"
2012-13, Brown University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Brown Economics Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.