The Inflationary Consequences of a Currency Changeover on the Catering Sector: Evidence from the Michelin Red Guide
AbstractThis paper examines the inflationary consequences of a currency changeover in the catering market. Empirical evidence from the Michelin Red Guide shows that: i) differently from restaurants in non-euro countries, restaurants in the euro area experienced abnormal price increases just after the changeover, ii) among restaurants in the euro area, tourist restaurants are responsible for most of the abnormal price increases. These results suggest that proposed explanations for the changeover effect such as menu adjustment and rounding up are only part of the story. We present a simple model of the catering market that is consistent with the evidence.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK in its series Bristol Economics Discussion Papers with number 08/604.
Length: 54 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2008
Date of revision:
Restaurants; Tourists; Euro; Currency Changeover.;
Other versions of this item:
- Fabrizio Adriani & Giancarlo Marini & Pasquale Scaramozzino, 2009. "The Inflationary Consequences of a Currency Changeover on the Catering Sector: Evidence from the Michelin Red Guide," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 71(1), pages 111-133, 02.
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Soetevent, Adriaan R., 2005. "Anonymity in giving in a natural context--a field experiment in 30 churches," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(11-12), pages 2301-2323, December.
- Giovanni Mastrobuoni & Wioletta Dziuda, 2005.
"The Euro Changeover and its Effects on Price Transparency and Inflation,"
Carlo Alberto Notebooks
26, Collegio Carlo Alberto, revised 2006.
- Wioletta Dziuda & Giovanni Mastrobuoni, 2009. "The Euro Changeover and Its Effects on Price Transparency and Inflation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(1), pages 101-129, 02.
- Bart Hobijn & Federico Ravenna & Andrea Tambalotti, 2006.
"Menu Costs at Work: Restaurant Prices and the Introduction of the Euro,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 121(3), pages 1103-1131, 08.
- Bart Hobijn & Andrea Tanbalotti & Federico Ravenna, 2005. "Menu Costs at Work: Restaurant Prices and the Introduction of the Euro," 2005 Meeting Papers 659, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Bart Hobijn & Federico Ravenna & Andrea Tambalotti, 2004. "Menu costs at work: restaurant prices and the introduction of the euro," Staff Reports 195, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Paul R. Milgrom & John Roberts, 1984.
"Price and Advertising Signals of Product Quality,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
709, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Bagwell, Kyle & Riordan, Michael H, 1991.
"High and Declining Prices Signal Product Quality,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 224-39, March.
- Ernst Fehr & Jean-Robert Tyran, 2004.
"Money Illusion and Coordination Failure,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1141, CESifo Group Munich.
- Fehr, Ernst & Tyran, Jean-Robert, 2004. "Money Illusion and Coordination Failure," CEPR Discussion Papers 4283, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ernst Fehr & Jean-Robert Tyran, 2004. "Money illusion and coordination failure," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2004 2004-02, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Ernst Fehr & Jean-Robert Tyran, . "Money Illusion and Coordination Failure," IEW - Working Papers 177, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Fehr, Ernst & Tyran, Jean-Robert, 2004. "Money Illusion and Coordination Failure," IZA Discussion Papers 1013, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cooper, Russell & Ross, Thomas W, 1984. "Prices, Product Qualities and Asymmetric Information: The Competitive Case," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(2), pages 197-207, April.
- Chan, Yuk-Shee & Leland, Hayne, 1982. "Prices and Qualities in Markets with Costly Information," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 499-516, October.
- Ernst Fehr & Jean-Robert Tyran, 2000.
"Does Money Illusion Matter?,"
IEW - Working Papers
045, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Cannon, Edmund & Cipriani, Giam Pietro, 2006.
"Euro-Illusion: A Natural Experiment,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(5), pages 1391-1403, August.
- Eugenio Gaiotti & Francesco Lippi, 2005.
"Pricing behavior and the introduction of the euro: evidence from a panel of restaurants,"
0501029, EconWPA, revised 15 Feb 2005.
- Gaiotti, Eugenio & Lippi, Francesco, 2005. "Pricing Behaviour and the Introduction of the Euro: Evidence from a Panel of Restaurants," CEPR Discussion Papers 4893, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cho, In-Koo & Kreps, David M, 1987.
"Signaling Games and Stable Equilibria,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 102(2), pages 179-221, May.
- Nelson, Phillip, 1970. "Information and Consumer Behavior," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(2), pages 311-29, March-Apr.
- Michael Ehrmann, 2011. "Inflation Developments and Perceptions after the Euro Cash Changeover," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 12(1), pages 33-58, 02.
- Amelie Gamble, 2007. "The “Euro Illusion”: Illusion or Fact?," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 323-336, December.
- Michel Beine & Étienne Farvaque, 2011. "Clause de non-renouvellement et rigidité des prix. Résultats sur le secteur de l'édition en France," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 62(1), pages 57-66.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sharon Bryant).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.