Euro-illusion: a natural experiment
AbstractWe collect and analyse data on church collections to assess whether the introduction of Euro notes and coins had real effects on giving. Data for Italy suggests that money is not completely neutral while Irish data suggests a lower degree of money illusion.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK in its series Bristol Economics Discussion Papers with number 03/556.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2003
Date of revision:
Euro; money illusion; church giving; natural experiment;
Other versions of this item:
- E4 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates
- M3 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising
- Z12 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Religion
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-02-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBE-2004-02-08 (Cognitive & Behavioural Economics)
- NEP-EEC-2004-02-08 (European Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shafir, Eldar & Diamond, Peter & Tversky, Amos, 1997. "Money Illusion," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(2), pages 341-74, May.
- Ernst Fehr & Jean-Robert Tyran, 2000.
"Does Money Illusion Matter?,"
IEW - Working Papers
045, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Michael R. Ransom & Gordon B. Dahl, 1999. "Does Where You Stand Depend on Where You Sit? Tithing Donations and Self-Serving Beliefs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(4), pages 703-727, September.
- Columba, Francesco, 2007.
"The Speed of Euro Adoption,"
5547, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:1:y:2008:i:3:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sacha Bourgeois-Gironde & Marianne Guille, 2011.
"Keynes's animal spirits vindicated: an analysis of recent empirical and neural data on money illusion,"
Journal of Post Keynesian Economics,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 34(2), pages 331-352, January.
- Sacha Bourgeois-Gironde & Marianne Guille, 2011. "Keynes's animal spirits vindicated: an analysis of recent empirical and neural data on money illusion," Post-Print ijn_00713479, HAL.
- Amelie Gamble, 2007. "The “Euro Illusion”: Illusion or Fact?," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 323-336, December.
- Vaona, Andrea, 2013.
"Money illusion and the long-run Phillips curve in staggered wage-setting models,"
Research in Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 88-99.
- Andrea Vaona, 2010. "Money illusion and the long-run Phillips curve in staggered wage-setting models," Working Papers 14/2010, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- Isabell Koske, 2011. "Price effects of the euro cash changeover: the role of product market competition," Empirica, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 223-230, May.
- Ehrmann, Michael, 2006. "Rational inattention, inflation developments and perceptions after the euro cash changeover," Working Paper Series 0588, European Central Bank.
- Fabrizio Adriani & Giancarlo Marini & Pasquale Scaramozzino, 2009.
"The Inflationary Consequences of a Currency Changeover on the Catering Sector: Evidence from the Michelin Red Guide,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 71(1), pages 111-133, 02.
- Fabrizio Adriani & Giancarlo Marini & Pasquale Scaramozzino, 2008. "The Inflationary Consequences of a Currency Changeover on the Catering Sector: Evidence from the Michelin Red Guide," Bristol Economics Discussion Papers 08/604, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Sotiris Vandoros, 2013. "My five pounds are not as good as yours, so I will spend them," Experimental Economics, Springer, vol. 16(4), pages 546-559, December.
- Giam Pietro Cipriani & Angelo Zago & Diego Lubian, 2008. "Money Illusion: Are Economists Different?," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 1(3), pages 1-9.
- Vivian Dzokoto & Edwin Mensah & Maxwell Twum-Asante & Annabella Opare-Henaku, 2010. "Deceiving Our Minds: A Qualitative Exploration of the Money Illusion in Post-redenomination Ghana," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 339-353, December.
- Francesco Columba, 2007. "Speed of euro adoption," 2007 Meeting Papers 350, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Michael Ehrmann, 2011. "Inflation Developments and Perceptions after the Euro Cash Changeover," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 12(1), pages 33-58, 02.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sharon Bryant).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.