EMU Strategies: Lessons from Past Experience in View of EU Enlargement
AbstractThis paper, after reviewing briefly the early steps of European monetary integration and key elements of the EMU project as reflected in the Treaty of Maastricht, analyses the monetary integration strategy and convergence experience of member states, in particular that of Greece, in the 1990s which led to the adoption of the euro. From this analysis, a number of lessons are drawn which may be useful, in the light of enlargement, to future candidates for euro area membership in designing their economic and monetary convergence strategies. The paper concludes that the existing Community institutions, rules and mechanisms provide a helpful framework to guide the convergence effort of accession countries towards EMU and ensure the implementation of sound economic policies thereafter.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Greece in its series Working Papers with number 11.
Length: 41 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2004
Date of revision:
EMU strategies; monetary integration in Europe; Greece’s convergence effort; EU enlargement and euro membership; EMS; ERM; ERM II; capital movements;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E61 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Policy Objectives; Policy Designs and Consistency; Policy Coordination
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zenon Kontolemis, 2003. "Exchange rates are a matter of common concern: policies in the run-up to the euro?," European Economy - Economic Papers 191, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Heather D. Gibson & Euclid Tsakalotos, 2004.
"Capital flows and speculative attacks in prospective EU member states,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 12(3), pages 559-586, 09.
- Heather D Gibson & Euclid Tsakalotos, 2003. "Capital Flows and Speculative Attacks in Prospective EU Member States," Working Papers 06, Bank of Greece.
- Padoa-Schioppa, Tommaso, 2003. "Trajectories towards the Euro and the Role of ERM II," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(1), pages 129-44, Spring.
- Eleni Angelopoulou, 2005. "The Comparative Performance of Q-type and Dynamic Models of Firm Investment: Empirical Evidence from the UK," Working Papers 27, Bank of Greece.
- Genberg, Hans, 2006.
"Exchange-Rate Arrangements an Financial Integration in East Asia: On a Collision Course?,"
122, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Hans Genberg, 2006. "Exchange-rate arrangements and financial integration in East Asia: on a collision course?," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 359-377, December.
- Hans Genberg, 2006. "Exchange-Rate Arrangements and Financial Integration in East Asia: On a Collision Course?," Working Papers 41, Bank of Greece.
- Hans Genberg, 2006. "Exchange-Rate Arrangements and Financial Integration in East Asia: On a Collision Course?," Working Papers 152006, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Ileana Tache, 2010. "The Challenges of Euro Adoption in Romania: Some Lessons from the Greek Experience," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(2), pages 171-186.
- George S. Tavlas & P.A.V.B. Swamy, 2006.
"The New Keynesian Phillips Curve and Inflation Expectations: Re-Specification and Interpretation,"
34, Bank of Greece.
- P. Swamy & George Tavlas, 2007. "The New Keynesian Phillips Curve and Inflation Expectations: Re-Specification and Interpretation," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 293-306, May.
- Theodoros S. Papaspyrou, 2007. "Economic Policy in EMU: Community Framework and National Strategies – focus on Greece," GreeSE â Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 04, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Mark M. Spiegel, 2009.
"Monetary and financial integration: Evidence from the EMU,"
in: Financial Globalization, 20th Anniversary Conference, NBER-TCER-CEPR
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark M. Spiegel, 2004. "Monetary and financial integration: evidence from the EMU," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue aug6.
- Spiegel, Mark M., 2009. "Monetary and financial integration: Evidence from the EMU," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 114-130, June.
- Jürgen von Hagen & Iulia Traistaru-Siedschlag, 2006.
"Macroeconomic Adjustment in the New EU Member States,"
SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum, number 2006/4 edited by Morten Balling.
- Iulia Siedschlag & Juergen von Hagen, 2006. "Macroeconomic Adjustment in the New EU Member States," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- von Hagen, Jürgen & Traistaru, Iulia, 2004. "Macroeconomic adjustment in the new EU member states," ZEI Working Papers B 01-2005 [rev.], ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Max Watson, 2007. "Growing Together? – Prospects for Economic Convergence and Reunification in Cyprus," GreeSE â Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 07, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Mark M. Spiegel, 2009.
"Monetary and Financial Integration in the EMU: Push or Pull?,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(4), pages 751-776, 09.
- Mark M. Spiegel, 2008. "Monetary and financial integration in the EMU: Push or pull?," Working Paper Series 2008-11, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Eleftheriou, Maria & Gerdesmeier, Dieter & Roffia, Barbara, 2006. "Monetary policy rules in the pre-EMU era: Is there a common rule?," Working Paper Series 0659, European Central Bank.
- George A. Christodoulakis & Stephen E Satchell, 2006. "Exact Elliptical Distributions for Models of Conditionally Random Financial Volatility," Working Papers 32, Bank of Greece.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christina Tsochatzi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.