Bridging DSGE models and the raw data
AbstractA method to estimate DSGE models using the raw data is proposed. The approach links the observables to the model counterparts via a flexible specification which does not require the model-based component to be solely located at business cycle frequencies, allows the non model-based component to take various time series patterns, and permits model misspecification. Applying standard data transformations induce biases in structural estimates and distortions in the policy conclusions. The proposed approach recovers important model-based features in selected experimental designs. Two widely discussed issues are used to illustrate its practical use.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Barcelona Graduate School of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 635.
Date of creation: May 2012
Date of revision:
DSGE models; Filters; Structural estimation; Business cycles;
Other versions of this item:
- Fabio Canova, 2008. "Bridging DSGE models and the raw data," Economics Working Papers, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra 1320, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised May 2012.
- Canova, Fabio, 2013. "Bridging DSGE Models and the raw data," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 9379, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- E3 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles
- C3 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-06-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2012-06-13 (Business Economics)
- NEP-DGE-2012-06-13 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-ECM-2012-06-13 (Econometrics)
- NEP-MAC-2012-06-13 (Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruno Guallar).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.