Farsighted House Allocation
AbstractIn this note we study von Neumann-Morgenstern farsightedly stable sets for Shapley and Scarf (1974) housing markets. Kawasaki (2008) shows that the set of competitive allocations coincides with the unique von Neumann-Morgenstern stable set based on a farsighted version of antisymmetric weak dominance (cf., Wako, 1999). We demonstrate that the set of competitive allocations also coincides with the unique von Neumann-Morgenstern stable set based on a farsighted version of strong dominance (cf., Roth and Postlewaite, 1977) if no individual is indifferent between his endowment and the endowment of someone else.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Barcelona Graduate School of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 384.
Date of creation: Apr 2009
Date of revision:
housing markets; indivisible goods; farsightedness; von Neumann-Morgenstern stable sets; top trading cycles; competitive allocations;
Other versions of this item:
- Bettina-Elisabeth Klaus & Flip Klijn & Markus Walzl, 2009. "Farsighted House Allocation," Harvard Business School Working Papers, Harvard Business School 09-129, Harvard Business School.
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- D70 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roberto Serrano & Oscar Volij, 2003.
"Mistakes in Cooperation: the Stochastic Stability of Edgeworth's Recontracting,"
Economics Working Papers, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science
0029, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
- Roberto Serrano & Oscar Volij, 2008. "Mistakes in Cooperation: the Stochastic Stability of Edgeworth's Recontracting," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(532), pages 1719-1741, October.
- Roberto Serrano & Oscar Volij, 2005. "Mistakes In Cooperation: The Stochastic Stability Of Edgeworth'S Recontracting," Economics Working Papers we056332, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Roberto Serrano & Oscar Volij, 2003. "MISTAKE IN COOPERATION:the Stochastic Stability of Edgeworth's Recontracting," Working Papers 2003-23, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Effrosyni Diamantoudi & Eiichi Miyagawa & Licun Xue, 2002.
"Random paths to stability in the roommate problem,"
Discussion Papers, Columbia University, Department of Economics
0102-65, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Roth, Alvin E. & Sonmez, Tayfun & Utku Unver, M., 2005.
"Pairwise kidney exchange,"
Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 125(2), pages 151-188, December.
- Alvin E. Roth & Tayfun Sonmez & M. Utku Unver, 2004. "Pairwise Kidney Exchange," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000000350, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Alvin E. Roth & Tayfun Sönmez & M. Utku Ünver, 2004. "Pairwise Kidney Exchange," Boston College Working Papers in Economics, Boston College Department of Economics 620, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Alvin E. Roth & Tayfun Sönmez & M. Utku Ünver, 2004. "Pairwise Kidney Exchange," Game Theory and Information, EconWPA 0408001, EconWPA, revised 16 Feb 2005.
- Alvin E. Roth & Tayfun Sonmez & M. Utku Unver, 2004. "Pairwise Kidney Exchange," NBER Working Papers 10698, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abdulkadiroglu, Atila & Sonmez, Tayfun, 1999. "House Allocation with Existing Tenants," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 233-260, October.
- Roth, Alvin E & Vande Vate, John H, 1990. "Random Paths to Stability in Two-Sided Matching," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 58(6), pages 1475-80, November.
- Shapley, Lloyd & Scarf, Herbert, 1974. "On cores and indivisibility," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 23-37, March.
- Roth, Alvin & Ãœnver, M. Utku & SÃ¶nmez, Tayfun, 2004.
2580565, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Roth, Alvin E. & Postlewaite, Andrew, 1977. "Weak versus strong domination in a market with indivisible goods," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 131-137, August.
- John C. Harsanyi, 1974. "An Equilibrium-Point Interpretation of Stable Sets and a Proposed Alternative Definition," Management Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 20(11), pages 1472-1495, July.
- Kawasaki, Ryo, 2010. "Farsighted stability of the competitive allocations in an exchange economy with indivisible goods," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 46-52, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruno Guallar).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.