Exchange of indivisible goods and indifferences: The Top Trading Absorbing Sets mechanisms
AbstractThere is a wide range of economic problems that involve the exchange of indivisible goods with no monetary transfers, starting from the housing market model of the seminal paper by Shapley and Scarf (1974) to problems such as the kidney exchange or the school choice problem. The classical solution to many of these models is to apply a mechanism called Top Trading Cycles, attributed to David Gale, which satisfies good properties for the case of strict preferences. In this paper, we propose a family of mechanisms, called Top Trading Absorbing Sets mechanisms, which generalize the Top Trading Cycles to the general case in which individuals are allowed to report indifferences, while preserving a maximal possible set of its desirable properties.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Games and Economic Behavior.
Volume (Year): 73 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622836
Housing market Indifferences Top trading cycles Absorbing sets;
Other versions of this item:
- ALCALDE-UNZU, Jorge & MOLIS, Elena, 2009. "Exchange of indivisible goods and indifferences: the Top Trading Absorbing Sets mechanisms," CORE Discussion Papers 2009062, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- C71 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Cooperative Games
- C78 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Bargaining Theory; Matching Theory
- D71 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Social Choice; Clubs; Committees; Associations
- D78 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Positive Analysis of Policy Formulation and Implementation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alvin E. Roth & Tayfun Sonmez & M. Utku Unver, 2003.
NBER Working Papers
10002, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kalai, Ehud & Schmeidler, David, 1977.
"An admissible set occurring in various bargaining situations,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 402-411, April.
- E. Kalai & D. Schmeidler, 1975. "An Admissible Set Occurring in Various Bargaining Situations," Discussion Papers 191, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Ma, Jinpeng, 1994. "Strategy-Proofness and the Strict Core in a Market with Indivisibilities," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 75-83.
- Alvin E. Roth & Tayfun Sonmez & M. Utku Unver, 2004.
"Pairwise Kidney Exchange,"
122247000000000350, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Alvin E. Roth & Tayfun Sonmez & M. Utku Unver, 2004. "Pairwise Kidney Exchange," NBER Working Papers 10698, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alvin E. Roth & Tayfun Sönmez & M. Utku Ünver, 2004. "Pairwise Kidney Exchange," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 620, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Alvin E. Roth & Tayfun Sönmez & M. Utku Ünver, 2004. "Pairwise Kidney Exchange," Game Theory and Information 0408001, EconWPA, revised 16 Feb 2005.
- Ehlers, Lars, 2002. "Coalitional Strategy-Proof House Allocation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 105(2), pages 298-317, August.
- Roth, Alvin E. & Postlewaite, Andrew, 1977. "Weak versus strong domination in a market with indivisible goods," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 131-137, August.
- Bird, Charles G., 1984. "Group incentive compatibility in a market with indivisible goods," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 309-313.
- Shapley, Lloyd & Scarf, Herbert, 1974. "On cores and indivisibility," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 23-37, March.
- Atila Abdulkadiroglu & Tayfun Smez, 2003.
"School Choice: A Mechanism Design Approach,"
0203-18, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Abdulkadiroglu, Atila & Sonmez, Tayfun, 1999. "House Allocation with Existing Tenants," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 233-260, October.
- Thomas Quint & Jun Wako, 2004. "On Houseswapping, the Strict Core, Segmentation, and Linear Programming," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm373, Yale School of Management.
- Salvador Barberà & Dolors Berga & Bernardo Moreno, 2011.
"Two Necessary Conditions for Strategy-Proofness: on What Domains are they also Sufficient?,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
892.11, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Barberà, Salvador & Berga, Dolors & Moreno, Bernardo, 2012. "Two necessary conditions for strategy-proofness: On what domains are they also sufficient?," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 490-509.
- Salvador Barberà & Dolors Berga & Bernardo Moreno, 2011. "Two Necessary Conditions for Strategy-Proofness: on What Domains are they also Sufficient?," Working Papers 598, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- José Alcalde Pérez & Antonio Romero-Medina, 2011.
"Fair School Placement,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2011-22, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Alcalde, Jose & Romero-Medina, Antonio, 2011. "Re-Reforming the Bostonian System: A Novel Approach to the Schooling Problem," MPRA Paper 28206, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alcalde, José & Romero-Medina, Antonio, 2011. "Fair School Placement," QM&ET Working Papers 11-1, Universidad de Alicante, Departamento de Métodos Cuantitativos y Teoría Económica.
- EHLERS, Lars, 2012.
"Top Trading with Fixed Tie-Breaking in Markets with Indivisible Goods,"
Cahiers de recherche
2012-02, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Lars Ehlers, 2012. "Top Trading with Fixed Tie-Breaking in Markets with Indivisible Goods," Cahiers de recherche 03-2012, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- José Alcalde Pérez & Begoña Subiza Martínez, 2012.
"On integration policies and schooling,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2012-06, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Alcalde, José & Subiza, Begoña, 2012. "Affirmative Action and School Choice," QM&ET Working Papers 12-3, Universidad de Alicante, Departamento de Métodos Cuantitativos y Teoría Económica.
- Paula Jaramillo & Vikram Manjunath, 2011.
"The Difference Indifference Makes in Strategy-Proof Allocation of Objects,"
008746, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Jaramillo, Paula & Manjunath, Vikram, 2012. "The difference indifference makes in strategy-proof allocation of objects," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 147(5), pages 1913-1946.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.