Are Capital Controls and Central Bank Intervention Effective?
AbstractCapital controls and intervention in the foreign exchange market are two controversial policy options that many countries have adopted in the past in order to influence the exchange rate and moderate capital flows. Colombia has a long record in the use of these policies with mixed results and often non negligible costs. The objective of this paper is to evaluate for the case of Colombia the effectiveness of capital controls and central bank intervention for depreciating the exchange rate, reducing its volatility, and moderating the exchange rate vulnerability to external shocks. The paper uses high frequency data from 1993 to 2010, and a GARCH model of the peso/US dollar exchange rate return. The main findings indicate that neither capital controls nor central bank intervention used separately were successful for depreciating the exchange rate. On the contrary, they augmented its volatility. Nonetheless, when both policies were used simultaneously, a statistical significant effect was obtained by which the interaction of capital control and intervention in the foreign exchange market were effective to produce a daily average depreciation of the exchange rate, without increasing its volatility. This result however should be taken with caution given the special economic circumstances that characterized 2008, when most of this interaction happened.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de la Republica de Colombia in its series Borradores de Economia with number 625.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Capital controls (Tobin tax); central bank intervention; GARCH regression model of the exchange rate return; effectiveness. Classification JEL:F31; F32; E58; C52.;
Other versions of this item:
- Hernán Rincón & Jorge Toro, 2010. "Are Capital Controls and Central Bank Intervention Effective?," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 007622, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juan José Echavarría & Enrique López E. & Martha Misas A., 2009.
"Intervenciones cambiarias y política monetaria en Colombia. Un análisis de VAR estructural,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
006127, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Martha Misas A & Juan José Echavarría S & Enrique López E, 2010. "Intervenciones cambiarias y política monetaria en Colombia. Un análisis de var estructural," VNIVERSITAS ECONÃMICA 008293, UNIVERSIDAD JAVERIANA - BOGOTÁ.
- Juan José Echavarría S. & Enrique López E. & Martha Misas A., . "Intervenciones cambiarias y política monetaria en Colombia. Un análisis de VAR estructural," Borradores de Economia 580, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Cordella, Tito, 2003.
"Can short-term capital controls promote capital inflows?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 737-745, October.
- Tito Cordella, 1998. "Can short-Term Capital Controls Promote Capital Inflows?," IMF Working Papers 98/131, International Monetary Fund.
- Cordella, Tito, 1998. "Can Short-Term Capital Controls Promote Capital Inflows," CEPR Discussion Papers 2011, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Juan José Echavarría & Diego Vásquez & Mauricio Villamizar, .
"Impacto de las Intervenciones Cambiarias sobre el Nivel y la Volatilidad de la Tasa de Cambio en Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
561, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Juan José Echavarría & Diego Vásquez & Mauricio Villamizar, 2010. "Impacto de las intervenciones cambiarias sobre el nivel y la volatilidad de la tasa de cambio en Colombia," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Juan José Echavarría & Diego Vásquez & Mauricio Villamizar, 2009. "Impacto de las Intervenciones Cambiarias sobre el Nivel y la Volatilidad de la Tasa de Cambio en Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 005509, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Cardenas, Mauricio & Barrera, Felipe, 1997. "On the effectiveness of capital controls: The experience of Colombia during the 1990s," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 27-57, October.
- Hernando Vargas H, 2011. "Monetary policy and the exchange rate in Colombia," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Capital flows, commodity price movements and foreign exchange intervention, volume 57, pages 129-153 Bank for International Settlements.
- International Monetary Fund, 2011. "Foreign Exchange Intervention: A Shield Against Appreciation Winds?," IMF Working Papers 11/165, International Monetary Fund.
- Lambert, F. & Ramos-Tallada, J. & Rebillard, C., 2011. "Capital controls and spillover effects: evidence from Latin-American countries," Working papers 357, Banque de France.
- Nicolas E. Magud E. & Carmen M. & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2011.
"Capital Controls: Myth and Reality--A Portfolio Balance Approach,"
Working Paper Series
WP11-7, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Nicolas E. Magud & Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2011. "Capital Controls: Myth and Reality - A Portfolio Balance Approach," NBER Working Papers 16805, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Camilo Millán).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.