Tools for managing financial-stability risks from capital inflows
AbstractWe examine whether macroprudential policies and capital controls can enhance financial stability in the face of the risks typically associated with large capital inflows. We construct new indices of foreign currency (FX)-related prudential measures, domestic prudential measures, and financial-sector specific capital controls for 51 emerging market economies over the period 1995–2008. Our results indicate that both capital controls and FX-related prudential measures are associated with a lower proportion of FX lending in total domestic bank credit, and with a lower proportion of portfolio debt in total external liabilities. Other prudential policies appear to help restrain the intensity of aggregate credit booms. Experience from the global financial crisis suggests that prudential and capital control policies in place during the boom enhanced economic resilience during the bust.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Economics.
Volume (Year): 88 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505552
Capital inflows; Capital controls; Prudential tools; Currency mismatches;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shleifer, Andrei & McLiesh, Caralee & Hart, Oliver & Djankov, Simeon, 2008.
"Debt Enforcement Around the World,"
2961825, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Razin, A. & Sadka, E. & Yuen, C.-W., 1998.
"Do Debt Flows Crowd out Equity Flows or the Other Way Round?,"
17-98, Tel Aviv.
- Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka & Chi-Wa Yuen, 2000. "Do Debt Flows Crowd Out Equity Flows or the Other Way Round?," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 1(1), pages 33-47, May.
- Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka & Chi-Wa Yuen, 1998. "Do Debit Flows Crowd out Equity Flows or the other way Round?," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 137, Universidad del CEMA.
- Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka & Chi-Wa Yuen, 1999. "Do Debt Flows Crowd Out Equity Flows or the Other Way Round?," CEMA Working Papers 3, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics, revised Apr 2000.
- Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka & Chi-Wa Yuen, 2000. "Do Debt Flows Crowd Out Equity Flows Or the Other Way Round?," NBER Working Papers 7736, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wei, Shang-Jin, 2001. "Domestic Crony Capitalism and International Fickle Capital: Is There a Connection?," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(1), pages 15-45, Spring.
- International Monetary Fund, 2010. "The Credit Boom in the EU New Member States: Bad Luck or Bad Policies?," IMF Working Papers 10/130, International Monetary Fund.
- Jonathan David Ostry & Mahvash Saeed Qureshi & Karl Friedrich Habermeier & Dennis B. S. Reinhardt & Marcos Chamon & Atish R. Ghosh, 2010. "Capital Inflows: The Role of Controls," IMF Staff Position Notes 2010/04, International Monetary Fund.
- Harrison, Ann E. & Love, Inessa & McMillan, Margaret S., 2002.
"Global capital flows and financing constraints,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2782, The World Bank.
- Enrique G. Mendoza & Marco E. Terrones, 2008.
"An Anatomy Of Credit Booms: Evidence From Macro Aggregates And Micro Data,"
NBER Working Papers
14049, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marco Terrones & Enrique G. Mendoza, 2008. "An Anatomy of Credit Booms: Evidence From Macro Aggregates and Micro Data," IMF Working Papers 08/226, International Monetary Fund.
- Enrique G. Mendoza & Marco E. Terrones, 2008. "An anatomy of credit booms: evidence from macro aggregates and micro data," International Finance Discussion Papers 936, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Dell''Ariccia, Giovanni & Marquez, Robert, 2005.
"Lending Booms and Lending Standards,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5095, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christoph Rosenberg & Marcel Tirpák, 2009. "Determinants of Foreign Currency Borrowing in the New Member States of the EU," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 59(3), pages 216-228, August.
- Razin, A & Sadka, E & Yuen, C-W, 1997.
"A Pecking Order of Capital Inflows and International Tax Principles,"
12-97, Tel Aviv - the Sackler Institute of Economic Studies.
- Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim & Yuen, Chi-Wa, 1998. "A pecking order of capital inflows and international tax principles," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 45-68, February.
- Jose De Gregorio & Sebastian Edwards & Rodrigo O. Valdes, 2000.
"Controls on Capital Inflows: Do they Work?,"
NBER Working Papers
7645, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Hutchison & Gurnain Kaur Pasricha & Nirvikar Singh, 2011.
"Effectiveness of Capital Controls in India: Evidence from the Offshore NDF Market,"
11-29, Bank of Canada.
- Michael M Hutchison & Gurnain Kaur Pasricha & Nirvikar Singh, 2012. "Effectiveness of Capital Controls in India: Evidence from the Offshore NDF Market," IMF Economic Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 60(3), pages 395-438, September.
- Michael D. Bordo & Christopher M. Meissner & David Stuckler, 2009.
"Foreign Currency Debt, Financial Crises and Economic Growth: A Long Run View,"
NBER Working Papers
15534, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bordo, Michael D. & Meissner, Christopher M. & Stuckler, David, 2010. "Foreign currency debt, financial crises and economic growth: A long-run view," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 642-665, June.
- Michael Bordo & David Stuckler & Chris Meissner, 2009. "Foreign Currency Debt, Financial Crises and Economic Growth: A Long Run View," Working Papers 921, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Forbes, Kristin J., 2007.
"One cost of the Chilean capital controls: Increased financial constraints for smaller traded firms,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 294-323, April.
- Kristin J. Forbes, 2003. "One Cost of the Chilean Capital Controls: Increased Financial Constraints for Smalles Traded Firms," NBER Working Papers 9777, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Forbes, Kristin J., 2003. "One Cost of the Chilean Capital Controls: Increased Financial Constraints for Smaller Traded Firms," Working papers 4273-02, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Guonan Ma & RobertN McCauley, 2008. "Efficacy Of China'S Capital Controls: Evidence From Price And Flow Data," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 104-123, 02.
- Davide Furceri & Stéphanie Guichard & Elena Rusticelli, 2011. "Episodes of Large Capital Inflows and the Likelihood of Banking and Currency Crises and Sudden Stops," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 865, OECD Publishing.
- Nicolas E. Magud & Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2011.
"Capital Controls: Myth and Reality - A Portfolio Balance Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
16805, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicolas E. Magud E. & Carmen M. & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2011. "Capital Controls: Myth and Reality--A Portfolio Balance Approach," Working Paper Series WP11-7, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Basso, Henrique S. & Calvo-Gonzalez, Oscar & Jurgilas, Marius, 2007. "Financial dollarization: the role of banks and interest rates," Working Paper Series 0748, European Central Bank.
- Gupta, Poonam & Mishra, Deepak & Sahay, Ratna, 2007. "Behavior of output during currency crises," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 428-450, July.
- Cardenas, Mauricio & Barrera, Felipe, 1997. "On the effectiveness of capital controls: The experience of Colombia during the 1990s," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 27-57, October.
- Martin Schindler, 2009. "Measuring Financial Integration: A New Data Set," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 56(1), pages 222-238, April.
- Jinjarak, Yothin & Noy, Ilan & Zheng, Huanhuan, 2013.
"Capital controls in Brazil – Stemming a tide with a signal?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 2938-2952.
- Yothin Jinjarak & Ilan Noy & Huanhuan Zheng, 2013. "Capital Controls in Brazil – Stemming a Tide with a Signal?," NBER Working Papers 19205, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jinjarak, Y & Noy, I & Zheng, H, 2012. "Capital Controls in Brazil: Stemming a Tide with a Signal?," Working Paper Series 2391, Victoria University of Wellington, School of Economics and Finance.
- Yothin Jinjarak & Ilan Noy & Huanhuan Zheng, 2012. "Capital Controls in Brazil – Stemming a Tide with a Signal," Working Papers 201213, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & Luiz A. Pereira da Silva, 2013. "Inflation Targeting and Financial Stability: A Perspective from the Developing World," Working Papers Series 324, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Andreas Hoffmann & Axel Loeffer, 2014. "Low Interest Rate Policy and the Use of Reserve Requirements in Emerging Markets," ICER Working Papers 01-2014, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & Luiz A. Pereira da Silva, 2013. "Rethinking Inflation Targeting: A Perspective from the Developing World," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 185, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Marcos Chamon & Marcio Garcia, 2013. "Capital controls in Brazil: effective?," Textos para discussÃ£o 606, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Kristin Forbes & Marcel Fratzscher & Roland Straub, 2013. "Capital Controls and Macroprudential Measures: What Are They Good For?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1343, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Yongding, Yu, 2014. "How Far Can Renminbi Internationalization Go?," ADBI Working Papers 461, Asian Development Bank Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.