Managing Capital Inflows: What Tools to Use?
AbstractA staff policy note on the above topic is under preparation, and the target delivery date is December 2010. The note will look at a number of issues, including: possible tensions between the prudential case for capital controls and the macroeconomic case; the role of capital controls and other prudential regulations in limiting the risks associated with the boom-bust cycle in capital flows (and the nature of policy prescriptions as a function of the underlying risks facing the economyâ€”credit risk, currency risk, excessive foreign borrowing either directly from abroad or by the banking systemâ€”and institutional/administrative constraints); and design of capital controls themselves (taxes, URRs, quantitative restrictions) as a function of country characteristics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Staff Discussion Notes with number 11/06.
Date of creation: 05 Apr 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- NEP-ALL-2013-02-16 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tillmann, Peter, 2013. "Capital inflows and asset prices: Evidence from emerging Asia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 717-729.
- International Monetary Fund, 2011. "Foreign Exchange Intervention: A Shield Against Appreciation Winds?," IMF Working Papers 11/165, International Monetary Fund.
- Vivek Arora & Karl Habermeier & Jonathan D. Ostry & Rhoda Weeks-Brown, 2013. "La liberalización y el manejo de los flujos de capital: una visión institucional," Revista de Economía Institucional, Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía, vol. 15(28), pages 205-255, January-J.
- Ren, Haocong, 2011. "Countercyclical financial regulation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5823, The World Bank.
- Mahvash S. Qureshi & Jonathan D. Ostry & Atish R. Ghosh & Marcos Chamon, 2011. "Managing Capital Inflows: The Role of Capital Controls and Prudential Policies," NBER Working Papers 17363, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jorg Bibow, 2011. "Permanent and Selective Capital Account Management Regimes as an Alternative to Self-Insurance Strategies in Emerging-market Economies," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_683, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Ilene Grabel, 2013. "The Rebranding of Capital Controls in an Era of Productive Incoherence," Working Papers wp318, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Park, Yung Chul, 2011. "The Global Financial Crisis: Decoupling of East Asia—Myth or Reality?," ADBI Working Papers 289, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Anderson, John, 2013. "Converting and transferring currency : benchmarking foreign exchange restrictions to foreign direct investment across economies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6601, The World Bank.
- Park, Yung Chul, 2011. "The Role of Macroprudential Policy for Financial Stability in East Asia’s Emerging Economies," ADBI Working Papers 284, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Philip R. Lane, 2009.
"Cross-Border Financial Integration in Asia and the Macro-Financial Policy Framework,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Philip R. Lane, 2013. "Cross-Border Financial Integration in Asia and the Macro-Financial Policy Framework," World Economics, World Economics, Economic & Financial Publishing, 1 Ivory Square, Plantation Wharf, London, United Kingdom, SW11 3UE, vol. 14(2), pages 37-52, April.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 2011.
"Financial Flows, Financial Crises, and Global Imbalances,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8611, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 2012. "Financial flows, financial crises, and global imbalances," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 469-480.
- Park, Yung Chul & Song, Chi-Young, 2011. "Prospects for Monetary Cooperation in East Asia," ADBI Working Papers 314, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Abhakorn, Pongrapeeporn & Tantisantiwong, Nongnuch, 2012. "A reexamination of capital controls’ effectiveness: Recent experience of Thailand," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 26-38.
- Ilene Grabel, 2011. "Promising Avenues, False Starts and Dead Ends: Global Governance and Development Finance in the Wake of the Crisis," Working Papers wp241_revised, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- John Brondolo, 2011. "Taxing Financial Transactions: An Assessment of Administrative Feasibility," IMF Working Papers 11/185, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.